Chapter X

IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED carrying a large sack in one hand, an additional large sack in the other hand, and a cat wrapped in a slightly smaller sack and tied to your chest, don't.

"This is my good cravat," Theo snapped. Elliott yeowled unhappily and shredded another inch of the fine, satiny fabric. Only one paw peeked out of the tight wrappings, but one paw was enough to deal quite a bit of damage.

Tansy opened the door to a tired-looking Theo with a red, welted cat scratch on one cheek. "My goodness, Theo, that's ... a lot."

"It's going to be a rather complicated night."

"Please, come in. Can I take Elliott for you?"

"Oh, do." The sorcerer stood as still as he could while Tansy untied the sack from around Theo's chest. His head swam with the scent of her floral perfume, which distracted him from the new cat scratches.

Tansy had left her hair loose in dark waves over her shoulders and wore a lovely dress. The dress, Theo thought, must be precisely the color of the blood pounding in his heart. Love ... so awkward and uncomfortable.

"Father's gone for the evening," Tansy explained as she led him into a modest parlor. The furnishings were pleasantly middle class. Plentiful candles burned in shielded sconces around the room, giving the place a warm and welcoming atmosphere. "He said he did not want any part of it. I'm rather surprised he is permitting it to happen in his home, but I suppose I did not really give him the choice."

"And your grandfather?"

"Upstairs, resting. I assume there will be some preliminary items to care for? I'm happy to help you set up if I'm permitted to."

"That would be most kind, Tansy. We'll need an area with some amount of free floor space. It should be as open as possible."

"The dining room should work nicely, if you can help me move the table. Here you are, Elliott, just have a seat." She set the cat down on the couch, off of which he promptly leapt. He sat on the parlor rug and began grooming himself furiously, casting dark, spiteful looks toward his esteemed master.

Tansy guided Theo into the dining room. Together, they moved the sturdy table up against the wall, opening plenty of space. She watched as he produced an iron cauldron from one of the sacks he had brought.

"It's going to be rather involved," Theo said as he put the cauldron on the hook over the hearth fire.