Chapter XI

THREE HOURS LATER, Theo had prepared the Draught of Invocation with his convoluted instructions. This was half the battle. Tansy had positioned the black candles in the correct configuration, which was about one eighth of the battle. Together, they had prepared the ritual salt, which was approximately one sixth of the battle. Theodosius was not very good with fractions, so he was not sure precisely how much of the battle was left. This caused him some anxiety.

"Alright ... I think now, all that remains is for me to meet your grandfather, and we can begin?" said Theo. It came out as a question, because he was still trying to find a denominator.

"I'll get him," Tansy said. She went to the narrow stair between the parlor and the dining room and began to climb. Some time later, she came back down with an elderly man on her arm. He was short and stooped, and his eyes were watery and vague.

"Grandfather, this is the friend I brought to see you," Tansy said, guiding him into the dining room where Theo waited.

"Oh, yes," the old man said. "Yes."

"You don't know him, but he's here to help us. His name is Theo. He's a sorcerer. Theo, this is my grandfather, Roland."

"Yes, I see. Hello." The old man took Theo's offered hand in his cool fingers, pressing it lightly.

"So good to meet you, Mister Pemberton. This will be short and easy, and you'll feel right as rain very soon," Theo hoped.

"Right as rain," echoed Roland Pemberton.

"Does he need to be over here?" Tansy queried, gesturing to the ring of as yet unlit candles.

"No; the invocation is essentially ... well, essentially, it consists of us—er, me, I suppose—asking a ... a higher being for a favor. That's really all it is. Your grandfather need not take a part in the ritual itself; he should just be close by."

Tansy nodded. She helped her grandfather settle down into one of the straight-backed dining chairs they had moved up against the wall. Then she folded her hands and looked expectantly at Theo.

First, Theo lit the candles, walking slowly and ominously around the circle and hoping he cut a very impressive, sorcerery figure. Then, he ladled the Draught of Invocation into a pewter cup. Then he entered the circle of candles. "Would you please bring Elliott over? Cats are strong conduits, channels for magical energy. He'll help empower the ritual."

Tansy located the cat, who was disdainfully staring at them from underneath one of the couches. She brought him over to Theo and set him down by Theo's foot.

The cat walked away.

Tansy picked him up and placed him back near Theo.

The cat walked away again, meowing.

Tansy picked the cat up again, set him near Theo on the floor, patted his head and pointed her finger at him sternly. "Stay, Elliott."

Elliott meowed and wandered off. He had the good sense to go in the other direction this time.

"Good heavens," Tansy sighed. She chased down the cat again and brought him back to the ritual space.

Theo took Elliott from Tansy and held him securely in his left arm, ignoring all the furious wriggling. "Please stand back," he advised Tansy.

Tansy retreated. She stood next to her grandfather, watching with a crease in her brow. Theo painstakingly poured salt in a shape that could be loosely defined as a circle, enclosing himself and Elliott in magical protection.

Now that he was closed in, Elliott calmed enough that Theo could set him down. The cat sat and curled his tail primly around him. He blinked a slow, disdainful blink.