02 | kiss and tell

The two girls let out a piercing squeal as they saw each other for the first time in over a year.

"Ky, you look so good!" Jess shrieked as she wrapped her arms around Kylie.

"Speak for yourself, girl," Kylie replied, lightly pecking Jess's cheek.

"Where's Elijah?" Jess asked as a second thought, glancing behind Kylie's shoulder and not seeing him anywhere.

"Oh, he's just getting my suitcases from the car." She waved her hand absent-mindedly behind her, only carrying her fake black Louis Vuitton clutch bag in her hand. After all, it was the only thing that complimented her outfit, and she refused to pick up her suitcases, which were clashing with her outfit, if she had someone else to do so for her.

"We have so much catching up to do, but first, Jess, are you really sure about all this?" Kylie bit her lip lightly and briefly peeked behind her to ensure Elijah couldn't hear. She knew Jess and Elijah had always been good together, always being the power couple of high school, second only to Kylie and whoever she happened to be dating at that moment in time. But, despite that, Kylie had always struggled with the concept of marriage, so getting married at twenty-two was probably the most absurd thing anyone could choose to do.

"Sure about what?" Jess's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"You know, you and Elijah? Getting married...you're both so young, and commitment is so...two thousand and ten, you know?" Kylie responded a little bit too seriously.

Jess burst into laughter. Maybe Elijah was right. This girl would never change.

"Ky, I know you don't understand yet, but I love Elijah. I'm crazy about him. I can't imagine not being with him." Jess exclaimed in return. Every word was accurate, except her feelings for Elijah had always been too great to put into words. He drove her crazy, but only in the good sense. Jess could barely remember life before she'd met Elijah, which scared Jess more than anything else.

"You'll know how that feels someday." Jess beamed at Kylie, knowing she'd find a man that could make her feel even a fraction of what Elijah made Jess feel.

"God, I certainly hope not. Love is just a trap." She responded, removing her sunglasses and tilting her face upwards to take in the view of the mansion of a house that Jess and Elijah currently resided in.

In front of Kylie was a spiral staircase leading up to the house's front door. The house was Elizabethan looking but with a modern twist. The kind of which Kylie had only dreamed of living in. It was way too big for only two people to inhabit.

"This house looks like it could hold a ton of secrets." Kylie laughed, with a twinkle forming in her eye.

"It was an engagement gift from my parents for Elijah and me," Jess responded proudly, gazing up at it.

"Typical life of the rich kids," Kylie laughed as Jess jokily nudged her.

For the many, many years Kylie had known Jess, she had had everything handed to her on a plate by her wealthy parents. Her whole life was a working-class kids' dream, aka Kylie's dream. Kylie could barely hide her jealousy in high school, and she still couldn't help feeling pangs of jealousy now.

"Babe?" Elijah called out, somehow tugging along four densely packed suitcases. Several beads of sweat had formed on his brow.

Kylie and Jess spun around in response to his voice, finally remembering Elijah.

"Can I get a little help down here? Kylie, these bags are yours, you know?" He yelled over to the two as they began making their way up the stairs.

"I'm well aware, darling," Kylie answered, but instead of making her way down to help Elijah, she continued climbing the stairs up to the building.