07 | the large crack

"You took advantage of me. I was in a very vulnerable place."

"What?! You were trying to get me drunk!" Elijah retaliated, unsure of how to react the morning after the deed.

"So? I was already drunk. You should've known better." Kylie responded calmly; absent-mindedly even. This certainly wasn't the most outrageous thing to ever happen to her. She'd had plenty of one night stands; enough to ensure she would be able to pull off an Oscar worthy performance to Jess. She turned her back to Elijah and continued beating the eggs in the bowl in front of her.

"You're unbelievable, we both knew what we were doing." He grabbed her arm, forcing her to stop. He couldn't ever deny the fact that he loved Jess, but he was also struggling to deny that he'd felt something with Kylie the night before. He wasn't sure what he'd felt, but it was definitely there.

"Just forget it okay? Nothing happened, nothing that mattered anyway." She sighed.

"This is all so easy for you, isn't it?" He knew forgetting the events of his night with Kylie would be one of the hardest thing he had to do. She'd awoken something inside of him; something that had been present when he'd first dated Jess but had long since died inside him.

"Yeah, it is." She responded, returning to her cold-hearted stance.

"I found this in the lounge, did you get lucky again last night, Kylie?" Elijah and Kylie were both alarmed by Jess's voice in the doorway. Elijah immediately withdrew from his position near Kylie, tactfully moving a few steps back from her.

Jess stood at the door, presenting a lacy red-coloured bra that both Kylie and Elijah recognised from last night.

"Yeah, something like that." She laughed a rather empty laugh, reclaiming the remains of her night with Elijah. She averted her gaze to Elijah quick enough to notice the light flush appearing on his cheeks.

As soon as Kylie had woken up with a throbbing headache, her naked body draped around Elijah's, with shot glasses placed randomly all over the floor and a nearly empty vodka bottle lying between them, she'd known a huge mistake had been made.

And later, when she'd spent the morning with her head above the toilet seat attempting to alleviate her hangover by preparing for the surge of vomit to emerge, and she'd had to deal with a very panicked Elijah, she'd known this had to be one of the biggest mistakes she'd ever made. She'd quickly discovered that Elijah was a fucking saint who struggled greatly to lie, making this whole ordeal even more painful.

"Hey baby." Jess wrapped her hands around Elijah's waist, leaning up to peck his lips lightly. He couldn't help but notice for the first time the significant difference in height between the two girls. Of course, he'd always been aware that Jess was taller but he'd never quite realised how short Kylie truly was. Jess barely needed to tip-toe to reach his lips whereas he'd needed to lean down in addition to Kylie tip-toeing to kiss her. He struggled to shake the thought, and frankly he wasn't sure why it even mattered. But it did.

"I was thinking, I finish early from work today so maybe the three of us could do something later, maybe go out for dinner?" She leaned her head against Elijah's shoulder, facing Kylie and looking hopeful.

"Yeah, sure." Kylie responded, forcing the smile that appeared upon her lips, hoping it looked as natural as possible. Truth was, anything and everything sounded better than having to spend another minute in the same room as Elijah who dripped guilt with every word.

She twirled her body around facing the kitchen countertop. She clamped down on her bottom lip, breaking the delicate layers of skin and drawing some blood. Seeing Jess's face was enough to muster up extreme feelings of guilt. Jess was her best friend; her soulmate, as the two would joke when they were in high school.