~Chapter four~

"Rylan"

"Hmm?" He sat up quickly, his eyes squinting from the lights.

"I've been trying to wake you for about 10 minutes."

"I wasn't asleep." He said quickly, standing up and looking around the basement. "What's up?"

"You're sleeping in the basement." Brody told him.

"Is that it?" Rylan look unimpressed. It was 2am.

"Adeline couldn't sleep, I thought you might like to go sit with her." Brody said kindly. "Her parents left a few hours ago and I think she's a bit homesick. Might be a good opportunity to go and say hello properly, I can be there if you need me."

Rylan nodded and made his way back up the stairs, he turned on a few lights, and Brody left him in the kitchen alone. He was determined to do this alone, after all how would they make any romantic connect with Brody around.

He got out a large mug and turned on the kettle, making Adeline a hot chocolate. His mother always made him hot chocolate, so much that it comforted him now to go to sleep. Maybe it would help her, he thought. He grabbed the cinnamon and sprinkled some on top of the warm drink, before grabbing her a few snacks and switching off the lights.

He took the drink upstairs and followed her sent to the end guest room in their family home. He knocked lightly, but she didn't answer.

He knocked again, very gently, not wanting to wake her if she was asleep. He was shaking with nerves, but he felt under control.

"Rylan?" She asked, she could smell his scent too, and he opened the door. She was sitting on the floor by the window with a blanket, on the opposite side of the room, looking innocently towards him.

"Can I come in?" He asked, "I don't want to invade your privacy if you don't want me in here-" he spoke nervously and with a slight stutter.

"You can come in." She smiled, nodding.

"I... I made you a drink. Brody said you couldn't sleep, so I brought you hot chocolate... It usually helps me sleep." he walked across the room and she stood up to meet him halfway. "If you don't like it, I won't be offended-"

"Rylan. It's okay..." She stopped him halfway through his sentence. "Thank you, you didn't have to..." She grinned, and he put the drink down, taking a few steps back. "Hot chocolate's my favourite." She admitted sitting on the edge of the bed. "Nice touch with the cinnamon."

He stood a few metres away. "Mum used to make it for me when I was little. It's the first thing I had when I came home." He mumbled, nervously.

"I'm so sorry about everything that happened... I haven't been told much, but enough to know that it must have really hurt you... I can't even imagine." Adeline said quietly and he smiled.

"I don't usually like talking about it... It's in the past now..." he turned his head and smiled. "Did you wake up from a nightmare? Or could you just not sleep?" He asked.

"I think it's just because I'm somewhere new... It will take me a few days to get settled I guess." She replied, taking another sip from the mug.

"You're staying?" He checked and she nodded.

"My parents left earlier, they'll keep visiting." She smiled.

"They're welcome anytime... I'm sure my mother and father have told you that." Rylan pointed out and she nodded.

They sat in silence for a while, looking out of the window.

"I'll let you sleep, you can come and wake me up if you need me... okay? I'm sure you can scent out my room if you need it" Rylan chuckled slightly, he hadn't laughed in a long time. He felt ... comfortable.