Chapter 11: Losing her bit by bit...

"Are you ready?" I asked Nandani.

After taking a deep breath, she replied, "yep!" She looked very nervous but she still put up a brave face for him. One step into the club and it was probably going to be an end for us. Shutting my brain temporarily off, I stepped in along with holding her hand in mine. We were technically still a happy married couple in front of my friends. We passed through the people dancing with the loud music to find our friends already there.

"Sup guys!" I said while only Navya responded with the same enthusiasm, the rest looked a little off. Dhruv has been like that ever since we met again, Aaliya's mood swings because of Nandani and Cabir was hating himself on what he did. I was contributing in hurting everyone I suppose!

"Hi guys..." Nandani said.

"Hey...you look different today." Navya said after looking at her.

"Do I look bad?" She asked while she squeezed my hand tighter unknowingly.

"No...you look...you look hot." Dhruv said. He does not behave normal with me and is now busy complimenting my wife,...Nandani! If he wasn't my friend, I swear I would have punched him.

"I guess she is trying to impress Manik!" Aaliya said. I wish she could just stop.

"Guys...enjoy, I will go check on the preparations. Adit....he will be arriving soon." Cabir said and left. He looked more hurt then me.

"Manik...I don't think I can do this. Let me just go home!" Nandani whispered into my ears.

"Nandani...you have waited too long, you have regretted too long. If you miss this chance, will you be able to wait for your whole life?" I asked. I wish she misses this chance, I wish she is ready to move on, I wish I could just take her away and hide her....so that they never meet! But then why...why can't I do this? Why am I helping her?

"I can't waste more time...you are right." She said. Her excitement was clearly seen in her nervousness. It's fine, this is how it was meant to be.

"Handsome hunks and gorgeous ladies, tonight is going to be one rocking night...." The announcer started the event. Adit was here....I needed a drink. I was about to walk but realised that Nandani would not let go off my hand.

"Nandani, let go off my hand." I said.

"Please just stay here for sometime..." She requested.

"I can't be with you the whole time...." I said in a harsh tone and forcefully freed my hand from hers. As I walked I regretted on my behaviour. How could I behave so rashly with her, how could I vent the anger of rejection on her. Forget it, I just need a drink.

Nandani's POV
How could Manik be so harsh and leave my side at the very end moment! But he is right, I can't burden myself on him all the time. Our relation has no future after all. "Please welcome the upcoming superstar....Adit Vansil" The announce said and disappeared.

Dekha hazaron dafa aapko
Phir beqarari kaisi hai
Sambhale sambhalta nahi ye dil
Kuch aap mein baat aisi hai

With the end of this verse he made his appearance. It was him....he looked the same just the fact then he had lost a couple of kilo's. His voice was amazing, though I wonder how he ended up becoming a singer. As far as I knew, he was into business and wanted to be the CEO of Apple. Things have changed a lot I guess. He continued singing for hours but I cared a less. I wanted this to end as soon as possible so that I could confront him and end the wait!

Finally, after hours of wait...he went back stage. I followed the crowd and went behind the stage. Along with the crowd, I too tried to see him but he went into the green room and the door closed. Just then Cabir made his way while I approached him. "Cabir, please...can you let me meet Adit. It's a request." I pleaded him.

"Nandani, he said he needs a break. He will be out to meet the people later on." Cabir said and left. Why was he so annoyed? Did I do something to him? I tried to look for everyone else but none appeared in the crowd, even Manik was lost. Giving up, I took a seat in the corner for the door to open.

After what it felt like ages, he finally stepped out. Passing the crowd, I reached him. "Hi!!" I said. He looked at me for a while and then spoke.

"Hi beautiful.....want a selfie." He said in his usual humorous tone.

"Yeah sure..." I said and took a picture. Did he not recognise me?

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Nandani Murthy." I said, hoping for him to remember me but he looked blank.

"Nice name....have a fun night." He said and left. I looked at him and he just walked away to dissolve into the crowd. He doesn't remember me.

Manik's POV
Such a great personality, good looks, great voice, high school mates......what else was even required. His entrance and Nandani's desperate attempts to meet him were suffocating me. I saw Nandani and that guy had met...it hurt, it hurt so much. Just as she wanted, I will vanish. Even though I want to see Nandani happy, I can not bear the site of her with someone else. With this in mind, I walked out. The beer in my hand was hardly helping while people passing in and out just looked at me suspiciously. Why wouldn't they if they found a guy lifelessly sitting on the floor at the entrance of a pub with a bottle of beer in his hand.

Just then I heard cries of a girl. I wish I could tell her how lucky she was that she could at least ease her pain through tears. The cries continued for few more minutes...who was this person. I turned around to find a girl hiding in a corner shredding tears. It was Nandani! She was crying. For the first time I didn't want to console her, be by her, help her because I hated the fact that her smiles were for him and so were her tears. For the first time I hated her...hated her for not liking me back. I decided to walk away but yet I couldn't....I just couldn't walk away!

"Nandani..." I whispered as I stood behind her.

She looked at me and got up from her place to land in my arms. She hugged me, as she cried even more. "Manik....am I...am I..not even worth remembering? Was I never visible to him....how!! How can he not remember me Manik....neither my name, nor my face. Was I not even worth that much..." She said as she cried saying each word.

How could she let him affect her so much...why! I hugged her back to make her feel comfortable. "Nandani....don't let anyone affect you so much that you doubt your existence. For me....I mean for people who love you mean the world to them. How can you think that you are not worth it!!" I said while patting her head gently to calm her down.

She cried for few more minutes and then calmed down. She wiped her face and looked at me. "Sorry...I just." She said feeling awkward.

"It's fine, friends can hug right!" I said smiling.

"Thank you Manik....but where did you disappear?....anyways, It's okay if he doesn't remember. This time I will do the same thing and then let him know who I am. After that, I will tell him everything that I have been keeping in mind." Nandani said.

What did she mean by 'I will do the same thing?'