[04]

September 22nd 2017

"Thanks for getting me this dress." She glanced at him from the corner of her eyes, hoping that he would acknowledge her presence in some way. "It's beautiful." Her voice was quitter now as she diverted her faze down to her lap, smoothing down the soft material of the dress against her legs.

He scoffed, not paying any attention to her as she drove, 5 miles over the speed limit. "Unlike you." He shot at her, his lips pulled up into a smirk, and not a pleasant one. He was laughing at his own joke, happy with the way that she remained speechless for a few minutes.

But the silence didn't last.

"Then why did you get it for me?" She asked without an ounce of the pain and sadness that she was feeling inside seeping into her voice. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing that he had indeed hurt her with that little comment of his.

She may be undeniably in love with him, but she wasn't blind to the terrible way that he treated her, and she was completely aware of how much a total ass that he was.

It didn't take him long to come back with a response, once again, not even paying any attention to her. "I can't have you dressing poorly in front of my parents. They'll think that I'm not treating you right or something." He scoffed at the irony of it but knowing his parents, they would probably side with her.

"How was work today?" She asked hoping to lighten the mood, that they would be able to converse together like a normal married couple instead of just arguing and throwing insults around. But to be fair, she was the one who did most of the talking while he only ever spoke to either reprimand her for something trivial or insult; or even on the occasion when he was happy, both.

"Oh, just stop talking!" He finally snapped at her, briefly tearing his eyes away from the road ahead to send her a hateful glare before grabbing at his earphones from the glove compartment, slowing the car slightly down as he plugged them into his ears and then connected it to his phone.

This was how it usually was between them whenever they were both confined into a small space such as a care; even if it was for a brief period of time.

She didn't bother commenting anymore that it was dangerous to be listening to music so loud while driving as it would distract because one, the first and last time that she had done so he had pulled over and forced her to leave the car and find her own way home. And two, she didn't want to distract nor aggravate him further than she had already done so.

While he listened to a random playlist from his phone as he drove to the suburbs, the destination being his parents house for the monthly dinner that the whole family got together to have, she simply sat in the passenger seat, silently wringing her hands together, not uttering a word.

This was how it was for her.

She loved her husband with her whole heart, adored everything that she did and genuinely laughed at all his jokes because she believed them to be funny -well, when he used to tell her jokes- but he couldn't even stand to be under the same roof as her.

They had been so happy together not even 2 years ago. They had the perfect marriage and an even better friendship. When she got married to Calvin, Audrey knew that this was the only man that she would ever love, the man that she would spend the rest of her life with. She believed that they would last forever, that nothing would ever come between them and that they would be able to overcome any obstacle that dared come in their path.

But not once did she ever think that her husband would fall out of love with her, especially so soon within the marriage.

She was just grateful that he hadn't left her yet; that he wasn't ready to deal with the mess that was divorce.