[14]

October 20th 2017

For once in a very long time, Calvin had a smile on his face when he pulled up to his house. He was feeling good about himself when he hung up his coat and slipped off his shoes.

He didn't even notice Audrey was sat awaiting him on the couch until she stood up and took his briefcase from him, placing it down gently on the coffee table.

He was surprised -more so with himself for not refusing her help- but found him muttering a 'thanks' to her.

"How was your day?" She asked.

Calvin faltered. "Good." He replied, cautious of his answer.

Something didn't seem right with her. "Just good?" She probed further even though she knew that he wouldn't open up to her.

"Yes." His answer was tight-lipped and short, just like his temper.

"I'm glad to hear that."

He only hummed in response before he headed upstairs to get changed, loosening his tie on the way.

Calvin worked upstairs in his office for the work that he had missed this morning when he was with Jane; not wanting to fall behind. He ignored Audrey when she came upstairs to tell him that dinner was ready and that she would be waiting downstairs for him.

It was only an hour after she had called him down for dinner that he decided to actually head down.

He had expected for her to have waited a few minutes for him, got frustrated and then dined by herself. He had hoped that she would be somewhere else in the house and that he wouldn't have to face her anymore tonight. Calvin didn't expect that she would be sitting, waiting for him patiently.

Audrey didn't even bat an eyelid when he slid into his usual spot at the head of the dining table.

"I'll re-heat everything. It won't take long." She informed him, not sparing him a glance as she picked up their respective plates from the table, planning to warm it up in the microwave.

He didn't say anything when she returned less than five minutes later, placing down his plate and a bottle of water in front of him. He watched in silence over his food as she sat opposite him, pushing around the food on her plate with a fork, not putting any of it in her mouth.

Another reason that he had decided to work before dinner today was the guilt.

Calvin couldn't explain it -especially since he had not once experienced this foreign feeling on the two years that he had repeatedly cheated on his wife and made a mockery of their wedding vows- but Calvin felt guilty. He found it hard to raise his eyes to hers, in fear that she would see through his façade and come to find out the truth of how he really spent his morning.

Dinner was quick and short. Calvin was finished and was heading upstairs before Audrey even had the chance to think of something to say to ease the obvious tension that surrounded them both.

The rest of the evening for Calvin was quiet and peaceful, just how he liked it. Ideally, he would have loved to spend his evening wrapped up in Jane's arms, but there would be plenty of time for that later.

It was a little before midnight when Calvin decided that he would head downstairs for a quick snack before going to sleep. If he woke up early enough, perhaps he would be able to sneak another secret visit to his mistress; but he couldn't risk falling behind on his work for that was another headache.

After grabbing a packets of potato chips and a bottle of water, he turned around. His eyebrows arched up in surprise when he noticed the figure lying on the sofa with a blanket thrown carelessly over it. Upon closer inspection, he knew it was Audrey.