[18]

October 31st 2017

Calvin and Noah both leaned, their heads nearly touching as they focused on the piece of paper laid on the desk between them. Today was a great for the photocopy machine to break down, and for their usual handy man to be off sick.

Just his luck, Calvin thought to himself.

And things had only gotten worse when it struck five in the afternoon, but he was nowhere finished with his work. Even with the help of his assistant, there was still a whole lot left to do.

Their current client -a Mr Andrews- was a demanding asshole who was prepared to only give them half a week to design a house for his daughter who would be living there with her soon to be husband.

Paynter industries specialised in hotels however, over the years, they had expanded to also accommodate interior designing. It had been a very good idea as the profit from their vast number of clients was exceptional, however, at times like this, Calvin wished that he had just stuck to the hotel business. His life would have been so much easier. At least, one part of it would have been.

Usually, Calvin would have taken two weeks to complete a project like this, however, Mr Andrews was a difficult client. And as much as Calvin wanted to shove the papers in the old man's face and tell him to go take his business elsewhere, he knew that Mr Andrews was good business and that he had deep pockets. Sadly, all of that seemed to come with a rotten personality.

"How big is the room again?" Calvin sighed, leaning back in his big office chair.

Noah spared his boss a brief glance before going back to his notes which he jotted down in record speed when the client had come by with all the specified requirements. "20 feet by 15." He told his boss without even consulting his notes, not that they would help much anyway since it looked like a five-year-old had scribbled across the page.

"And what needs to be in there?" Calvin asked, even though he knew it off by heart by now.

Noah scratched the back of his neck. "Pretty much everything a baby doesn't need." He scoffed.

Calvin cracked a smile at that, chuckling lowly. "Good one." He praised his assistant.

And then they were back to work again.

Hours passed and it was only when the clock struck half ten did they book look up from what they were doing. "Sorry," Calvin muttered as he picked up his phone, not checking the caller ID. "Hello." He spoke into the phone, holding it between his ear and his shoulder as he carried on writing.

"Hey." A small voice spoke from the other end of the phone.

Calvin huffed, leaning back in his seat. "Who is this?" He asked even though he knew exactly who it was. He just wished that it was someone else.

"It's me, Audrey."

Calvin pursed his lips. He didn't say anything else. He wished that she would just take the hint and then take a hint, but alas, that was just wishful thinking. "Is something wrong?" He finally asked after a few awkward moments of silence passed between them.

"No." She replied instantly, not wanting to worry him.

He rolled his eyes. "Then why are you calling?" He asked, his lips pursed. Calvin glanced up at Noah quickly, happy that his assistant was actually pretending to not listen in on the conversation.

She ignored the snarky way in which he was speaking to her. She was used to it now so it didn't bother her anymore. Well, not too much, anyway. "I was just calling to ask if you were coming home tonight."