To Forget The Past: XI

Trigger Warning: Suicide (Overdose)

Kane's POV

  Slamming the door shut I walked into the hotel room, the warm air sticking to my skin. I made my way to the bed, throwing my body on the edge staring at my fingers fidgeting with each other.

  "You okay?" A small voice spoke out, though I didn't mind looking up. It was the first time she had talked to me since what had happened two weeks ago.

  "Do I look okay?" I snapped, my voice croaky, coming out a lot harsher than I wanted.

  Silence filled the room but I didn't dare look up. I heard soft footprints walking closer until Everest set her body down next to me.

  "What's wrong?" Her voice was soft, drifting off.

  I let the question go unanswered as I thought about everything that I could say to answer that question. I raised my eyes, my vision blurred with tears building up in my eyes.

  When I met with Everest's Hazel green eyes, she looked taken aback, her mouth slightly opened but soon closed just as fast. I stared into her eyes; a forest in the fall, greens and reds swirled together, like the leaves of the brightly colored trees leaving the branches of the tall towering figures.

  I finally spoke, my voice low, "I need to tell you why I came with you." Surprise sparked through Everest's eyes, soon filling with curiosity.

  She leaned back, pressing her back against the headboard of the cheap hotel bed, looking at me with her eyebrows raised.

  I closed my eyes, bringing them down to the floor. Breathing in deeply, I let silence follow as I planned each and every word that was needed to say in my head.

  "I needed to escape." My voice came out a whisper, barely hearable. "My mom-" my breath was shaky as I tripped on my words, unable to get them out. I let myself doze off before continuing, thinking about that day.

Walking into the apartment the cool AC chilled down my sweaty skin. I threw off my soccer jersey, tossing it over my back, exposing my bare chest. Lifting up my Gatorade water bottle I let the heavenly water reach my mouth, flooding my dry throat. I smirked to myself as I thought about the game.

Four minutes left in the game, it was a tie. I didn't want to play into overtime, so I pushed even harder. If we won this game we'd go up to nationals, something I've been dreaming about my whole life.

Four turned to two. Our midfield started loosening up, though our strikers--Everest and I--kept at it hard. One minute left. I sprinted down the right wing, crossing it towards the middle knowing exactly where Everest would be. Everest turned, getting ready to do a Bicycle kick. She threw her body up, her foot colliding perfectly with the ball as it swung straight at the goal, hitting the back of the net with the sound I grew up loving. The crowd jumped up from their seats, throwing their hands in the air, letting out a loud cheer. I sprinted my way to Everest, tackling her taller figure, which was still on the ground from the shot. She groaned as I jumped on her body.

"Nice shot, though...you could have done it a lot better," I said jokingly. She laughed and punched me in the arm.

"Don't judge me. The scores 5-4 instead of 4-4 now, you should be thanking me." I rolled my eyes, and helped her up, the smile on my face never fading.

"What you smiling about?" I snapped my eyes up to my dad's, his deep voice bringing me out from the memory. The smile on my face quickly vanished as I stared up at his deadly black eyes. He stood taller than me,6'7, making him a lot more intimidating than he already was.