Assassins Of Yesterday - 4

~~ Insane ~~

The pilot assisted Jessica in unloading the duffel bags that contained her firearms, gadgets, and explosives while she kept her son busy. "Finished," she questioned him once he slammed the back door shut. Ricardo nodded and Jessica stepped aside for her son to bid goodbye to his uncle.

Jacob stepped forwards with ultimate respect for his uncle. "It was good meeting you, Jacob. Take care of your very highly, irresponsible mother."

Scoffing, Jessica opened the door as she waited for Jacob to board their car. "Goodbye Uncle."

Jacob silently slid into the passenger seat where he watched his mother and uncle speak quietly. He narrowed his eyes on the fidgeting fingers of his mother. She only does that when she's nervous. What is he telling her? Swallowing a blob of spit, Jacob sighed and rested his head on the head cushion of the seat. Jacob was tired, yes, but he was also excited to arrive at the place of the childhood of his mother's.

His mother did not speak very often about the place. But he was able to decipher that here was where she met his dad. Dad. Jessica could not bring up the topic without having a deathwish. Why bother? He's working all the time and he doesn't even have the time of day to bother about us.

"Be careful," Ricardo finalized. "Of course." He pulled his sister forward and he placed a soft kiss on her forehead. The beating of her heart accelerated as she pondered on what he had just confessed to her.

"Goodbye Ric."

"Goodbye sis."

* * * * * * * * * *

Jessica and Jacob settled at her old home. It was an enormous home with trees surrounding the area. A pond, a forest, a pool in the back, a wide lawn. Besides the spacious land around it, the rooms were enormous and comfortable.

Jacob was ecstatic as to how his designated room was laid out. The gray walls with a white ceiling and a wooden floor that had a nude rug underneath his bed. His room contained a large on-the-wall desk that ran along the left wall with three-level shelves up top and drawers beneath the desk covering underneath except for where a white rolling chair that was situated in front of it at the end where the two walls met in a corner, bordered with two double-white windows. Two art paintings hung on the right wall a couple of feet from his bed. He couldn't recognize the painting, but he loved them.

After both Jessica and Jacob situated themselves, they were swallowed by boredom and decided to go out since they had arrived on the last day the Annual Gwinnett County Fair was going to be open. Once they arrived, Jessica parked her vehicle out front of an old acquaintance's home and they walked into the fairgrounds. Jessica paid and they both were stamped a blue-powdered stamp on the back of their hands.

Jacob was overwhelmed with the rides presented and he was ecstatic at how much sweets he could consume for that night and not be in trouble. They ate cotton candy, funnel cake, roasted corn and two buckets of extra buttered popcorn. The woman spent a fair amount in expenses but she paid no mind. Why would she? She had enough to last her a lifetime.

They laughed, teased each other and had a grand time. It was one of those events where they became closer as family and although Jacob's father was not there, Jessica and Jacob had gotten really close.

By the time they exited the fair, it was already dark, chilly, and 11:30 p.m. Yet, neither of the Williams' were tired. Walking, they headed down the street to a grocery store. Ingles. Once within, Jacob's eyes widened at how spacious the store was. The countless aisles and what impressed him was the movie section in the store. "You don't see this much in New York," he mumbled. Someone cleared their throat and Jacob turned around. "We're about to close in 2 minutes."

The woman had dark hair and hazel eyes. Jessica smiled at the sound of the voice and she turned around, motioning for Jacob to go down a certain aisle. "Chips are over there. Go get something to eat." He nodded and was on his merry way. Then, Jessica faced the lady. "Wow, you've changed."

The old friend chuckled and both women hugged. "God, I've missed you so much, Williams. How are you?" Jessica chuckled before answering her. "I'm good. How about you? And where's the little devil?"

Someone scoffed behind Jessica, Carol gestured for her to turn. "Your answer is right there." Behind her stood a young 11-year-old girl with dark hair and beautiful hazel eyes, like her mother. She was in all black attire and only contrasted with the kiwi green Ingles Apron she wrapped around her waist. "Little devil? Glad to know you still remember."

Carol rolled her eyes while Jessica smirked, amused. "Glad to know you'll always be one like your mother." Carol scoffed at Jessica's response. "Don't be angry because she learned from the best."

"I'm offended." she gasped. Carol punched Jessica's shoulder playfully. "What are you doing here Williams? Must be something ridiculously threatening if the director had to bring you back in."

Jessica shook her head. "Phoenix is on the loose again. I just can't figure how he could escape the penitentiary if it's the top securest prison of all the U.S."

The girl snorted, crossing her arms across her chest. "Infiltrator. Backstabbing bastard."

Carole agreed. "But who? We're all practically family." Jessica countered. The young girl shook her head. "I can't think right now. Mom, I'm going home. Adios Jessica." She waved back and Carol and she watched her walk away. "God, she's 8 but has a mind of a 15-year-old. If not, older."

Jessica chuckled. "Well, she has been trained to pick up things quicker. Am I right Carol?" Carol, her acquaintance, snorted and turned at the sound of feet pounding towards them. "I'll take you to register 8."

Jessica looked at Jacob, nodded, and then faced out to the spacious place. She was now beginning to wonder about her partner. Where is she? Or he?

* * * * * * * * * *

1056 words