Chapter 4

I left Rose talking by the balcony to another top floor agent that I didn't know the name of (Becky or Brenda -- I couldn't remember) in order to look for more devices.

I approached the painting that hung on the wall in the centre and examined the edges, noting that it was slightly angled forwards from the bottom. I ran my hand across the canvas' edge, my fingers connecting with something: another device. With a slight smile of accomplishment, I pulled it out, examining it to see if it was the same as the previous device -- it was.

My phone buzzed, indicating that I had received a text; it was Scotty.

Found 2. Destroyed them both. Should we tell Collins?

I replied:

One here. I'll tell him later.

"Can we have everyone gathered around the foyer please?" Called Davis. I put my phone back into my purse, along with the device that Scotty would later examine thoroughly, and approached the balcony to find everyone gathering . Rose grabbed the rails beside me and I felt others do the same.

"Are we getting a speech or something?" She said, almost laughing.

"By the look on Collins' face, we're getting a long one," I replied, noting Collins standing in the corner of the room, his face in his hands.

"I didn't realise Agent Davis was close to Agent Collins," she replied. I nodded and watched the two of them. Davis was beaming at the crowd, laughing every time he stole a glance at Collins cowering in the corner.

"They're friends."

Adam Davis, with a grin of mischief on his face, dimples shining brightly, stood in the centre of the foyer. Scotty, Derek, Gabby and Tyler were all stood together by the archway that led to the living room, with Derek leaning against the wall, muttering something to Scotty that made him laugh.

"Today we celebrate the twenty-ninth birthday of Arthur--"

"Who the bloody hell is Arthur?!" Scotty asked, clearly louder than he meant to. All eyes in the room darted to Scotty and the three surrounding him. It only took a second for Derek to push himself up from his perch on the wall and walk to the opposite end of the room. Gabby soon scuttled after him as her face started to burn up.

Scotty coughed. "Carry on Aaron -- Adam!"

I downed the rest of my drink.

"Okay," said Davis. He awkwardly coughed into his fist before continuing. "Today we celebrate the twenty-ninth birthday of Arthur Collins: a hardworking and loyal...friend. Collins is a person who never seems to be valued due to the silent work that he does. He gets on with things without trouble and without complaint, all while looking out for his closest friends whom I have had the pleasure to meet with today." He looked between Derek and I. When he started talking again, I looked down from the balcony and caught Derek's eye.

Are you okay? He mouthed.

What? Yeah, I mouthed back.