Chapter 26 - The Wedding Pt. III

Chapter 26

The Wedding Pt. III

•Ethan's POV•

I'd be lying if I said the ceremony didn't put a few tears in my eyes. But I didn't dare let them fall, not with Jake's parents sitting next to me in the front row.

The ceremony was riveting, watching the emotions shine on Amanda's and her newly-wed husband's face as vows were spoken. But the few times that I did look over to Jake, I could see tears in his eyes, too.

Jake was a groomsman, third in line out of four. So, he wasn't the only one in that sexy grey vest get-up, but he was the youngest, and the most attractive, too. But I won't lie, a few of Amanda's husband's friends were damn sexy.

Once the ceremony ended, everyone dispersed, going back to places around the grounds to chatter in their groups again and, finally, crack out the drinks. A few stayed behind to personally congratulate the newly-wed couple.

I hung back with Jake's parents, looking around and observing and watching people while they chatted, waiting for Jake.

I watched him approach his sister, whom he hugged, and her husband, who shook Jake's hand. I couldn't hear but I could guess that he was congratulating them. A few more words were passed around before they made their way down from the upraised stage that the arbor was on.

Jake immediately left Amanda's husband's side to be by my side, and I smiled when he brushed my hand with his slightly, warming my entire body.

Jake's parents stood off to the side a bit, still talking, but you could tell they were in line to congratulate their daughter.

I stood there with Jake, relishing in the slight contact of warm, soft skin, observing the area while Amanda and her husband briefly thanked people for coming while they congratulated them in return.

The ceremony area was completely sheltered; the marquee was a massive rectangle, with plastic-paned windows along either side, letting in filtered sunlight. It was large enough to fit at least a hundred to a hundred and fifty people. The seats – which were the kind of white, wooden picnic seat that you'd find in the front lawn of a white picket-fence house – faced the raised stage, which was only three small steps higher off the ground, that had the wedding arch – the arbor – on it, with just enough space for a few large bouquets of white roses and the groomsmen and bridesmaids.

After exchanging a few words with a few people, I was next in line to greet Amanda and her husband.

I beamed a smile at Amanda. "Congratulations!" I said, offering my hand to her to shake once again.

"Thank you," she said, ignoring my hand and bringing me into a hug.

I welcomed the hug, despite my hand being pressed awkwardly between us, and the fluffiness of her wedding dress – which, by the way, was absolutely stunning, and so was her make-up and hair.

"I'm glad you could make it," she said, releasing me from the hug.

"Thanks to my expert driving skills," I heard Jake mutter. We all chuckled at the comment.

"It's really all so beautiful," I said to Amanda.

Then it was time to meet her husband.

I shifted slightly on my feet.

"I'm Mark, if you didn't know already," Mark said, extending a hand.

I shook his hand. He definitely had a firmer grip than I did, but it didn't surprise me.