Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Michael woke the next morning and the first thing he realized was that he was alone in the bed. Allie's head was not resting against his heart as it had been every other morning for weeks. Loneliness filled him as he opened his eyes and glanced around.

He wasn't just alone in the bed; he was alone in the room.

Where were Allie and Amelia?

Michael pushed himself up and then stood slowly. He could remember a time when mornings had been the worst time of day for pain but now it wasn't quite so bad. He could stand with weight on his left leg and it actually supported him. He knew it would always drag a bit and he'd have a limp but he was getting stronger.

Michael looked toward the door and saw a note on the table. He scratched at his stomach as he made his way over and picked it up.

Michael,

Amelia and I went down to get breakfast and have a look around Campton. You were sleeping so soundly, and it was so early, that I hated to wake you. We should be back no later than eleven or so and we'll all go to lunch together.

Always and Forever Yours

Allie

Michael smiled at her final words. Always and forever his. He liked the sound of that.

With a sigh, Michael sat the note down and glanced at the clock. It was only nine. He didn't want to sit here alone for two hours. Michael bit his lip and stared at the door. Could he walk out there alone?

Campton wasn't a big town and was smaller than the one he'd been in before so it shouldn't be too hard to find Allie and Amelia... Could he brave the outside alone until he found them? Michael walked to the window and opened the shutters. Bright sunlight met his gaze and as his eyes adjusted he began to look around at the bustling streets below.

He saw a lot of things out that window. Men and women walking arm and arm along the boardwalk, a man pounding on metal with a hammer down the road, a woman pushing a large wheelbarrow full of what smelled like fresh baked bread, children running and laughing, dogs barking--it was overwhelming, a sensory overload, and just the thing Michael had to get accustomed to. Life.

With a deep, shuddering breath Michael adjusted his shirt, ran his hand over his black hair and stepped to the door. His heart pounded knowing that when he stepped out this door he'd be out in the world--out where anyone and everyone could see him--and he'd be out there alone.

With a shaking hand Michael reached out and pulled open that door before closing his eyes and taking a quick step across the threshold.

He opened his eyes slowly and found himself alone in the long narrow hallway. Slowly he walked toward the front of the hotel, his left foot scuffling on the wooden floor as it dragged slightly behind him.

The plump elderly woman who had been so kind the day before was sitting in a chair behind the counter reading over a newspaper. She looked up at his approach and smiled warmly, "Good morning, sir."

"G..good morning," Michael whispered, his stutter becoming pronounced in his nervousness.

"Would you like a bit of breakfast?" the woman asked. "Allie and Amelia were down quite early to eat and I was told to ensure you got to eat this morning as well." Michael nodded slightly. He was hungry.

He wasn't sure what he felt as the woman wrapped a gentle arm around his shoulders and led him toward the sound and smell of meals being served. It felt comforting the way she walked beside him talking sweetly, her plump body bumping into his and the lines around her friendly gray eyes deepening when she would smile. It was different from what he felt with Allie or even with Amelia. It was almost motherly, or at least what he had read a motherly woman could be like.