Chapter 15 She's awake

It was a long time before I could bring myself to get up off the cold tile floor. His words were playing over and over in my head, bringing fresh tears to my eyes each time I thought about it. I replayed what he said about Addie, he was in her bed. Oh god how could I be so stupid, of course he didn't want to tell me that his little sister was abused by that man. Who was he anyways? I shook the thought off and opened the door to the cafe, thankfully it was close to empty as I slowly walked through it. I pushed open the door to the outside and was greeted by a burst of fresh air leaving cool streaks where my tears had once fallen. I looked at my phone and called Janie.

"Hey what's up, how's Addie?" she greeted me with happiness and all I could do was cry.

"C-Can you come get m-me?" my voice was stuttering from my uncontrollable tears.

"I'm on my way." I heard the click of her hanging up. I walked over to the bench and sat down, anxiously waiting for her to come.

"Sadie?" Dani's voice came from the doorway. I didn't look at her, I was to ashamed of myself. Instead she came and sat down next to me. "He didn't say what happened, but he's still really upset."

"I did something s-stupid." I croaked out. "I looked up what happened and he found out. I just didn't know, I just wanted to know." she nodded slowly.

"He was dating my mom." She started out hesitantly, I turned to face her as the truth finally came out. "They had been together for about a year when it all happened. We found out it had been going on for six months before anyone knew, Addie stopped eating and wouldn't play, she was only three." tears filled my eyes again, no wonder she was so scared. "Drake caught him and almost killed him. He didn't tell us why at first, he was too upset and the cops took him before he said anything. I don't know how he stopped but he called 911 before my mom woke up."

"God I'm so stupid." I put my head in my hands and cried again. "I just didn't understand"

"I wouldn't come back here again, he's raging upstairs." She paused. "Sadie I don't know if it's a good idea to try to talk to him again." With that she got up and walked back inside. Janie pulled up a few minutes later and brought me back to her house, I told her everything as I sobbed into her shoulder. She didn't say anything at first, she let me get it all out before she spoke.

"Sadie, I don't know what to say. What's meant to be is meant to be, just leave it alone for a while." I nodded but my heart was pushing me to call him. I walked into her bathroom and pulled out my phone, I turned the water on so she wouldn't hear me and dialed his number. It rang twice and then went to voicemail. I cursed myself before I called again, one ring then voicemail, he was ignoring my calls. I texted him instead.

Drake I'm so sorry, please forgive me. I love you.

I waited for five minutes staring at the phone, it didn't ding. I sighed and put it back into my pocket and went to return to Janie. It was Saturday so I decided to stay at her house for the night.

The next day I went home and stayed in my room all day. My parents didn't ask and I didn't tell them, at dinner we all sat in silence and after that I went right back upstairs to my room and cried. I had the stuffed bear he had won for my at the carnival wrapped up tightly in my arms. I didn't want to leave this bed.

.

.

.

It had been almost a week, a whole week since Drake and I had our fight. I had texted him everyday and still had not received anything. I was sitting at the lunch table with Todd mushing my food around on my plate. I hadn't really talked to anyone since I left Janie's house that day.