Ch. 5 - Friends

"There's something about you that makes the boss all nice 'n friendly, so you better spill it. I saw what happened last night with the other grunts. You managed to stop him from tearing into 'em in a matter of seconds! So what is it you're doin' to him that makes him listen to ya?"

•×•×•×•

You couldn't believe what you just heard. Looking up at Guzma, he had his gaze turned away from you. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me." Guzma stated. "After what just happened and what I just saw under your jacket, someone's gotta keep an eye on you. Since you were already technically under my care, this shouldn't be very different."

A moment passed, and Guzma looked over to you. "What, you got a problem with that?" he raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure Nanu needs some company if you don't want me to be keeping an eye on you."

"N-No! I-It's just..." you didn't know what to say. What does he mean by keeping an eye on you?! "U-Uhm..."

"Look, you're probably not in the right mindset right now to be making decisions." Guzma sighed as he picked Myst up and placed them on your stomach. Before you could get a word out, you suddenly felt an arm go under your knees and an arm go around your shoulders. The next thing you knew, Guzma was carrying you, with Myst making small noises that sounded like laughter.

"Whether you like it or not, you're staying the night in my room." Guzma stated. "I can't trust the others to look after you, and Plumeria already has her hands busy with the rest of 'em."

You felt your face grow warm, but at the same time, you felt shameful. This wasn't a side of you you didn't want anyone to see, let alone Guzma. Regardless, there wasn't anything you could do right now to convince Guzma you're okay, so you leaned against his chest and accepted the situation.

As the two of you approached the main house, you could tell that some of the team had spotted you and were headed outside. Ignoring the oncoming traffic of the others freaking out, you held onto Myst and hid your face.

Once the two of you were in Guzma's room, he set you down and sighed, sitting down at his chair and putting his face in his hands. Everything went quiet.

"I'm sorry..." you muttered, feeling too guilty to even try to look at him. "I'm making things stressful, aren't I?"

"To be honest, yea." Guzma stated, making you feel worse. "Look, you're obviously troubled. It's a miracle you're still alive, yea? Ya need someone to look after ya, to make sure you don't hurt or kill yourself. It's either me or Nanu. Who's it gonna be?"

Out of nowhere, you began to cry. Myst tried their best to comfort you, but to no avail. You heard Guzma get up from his chair and step up to you.

"I wanna make a deal, yea?" he asked while you were quietly crying to yourself. "Well... It's not technically a deal."

After a moment, Guzma knelt down so you could actually look at him. "I know you've been through some crap. Ya don't even have to tell me for me to see that. But ya need to talk to someone about all this, yea? Ya can't just bottle it up and expect everything to be okay. Ya need to tell someone, even if they can't relate to what's going on in your head."

With that, Guzma put his finger to your forehead, next to the bandaid. He pushed your forehead a bit so you'd look up at him. "Ya need to vent, _____. I can tell ya do it physically, but not on yourself. Hell, you can...you can hit me if ya need to, I won't get mad."

Through your tears, you managed to form a shaky smile. "But still, _____. I may be the leader of some gang, but if ya need to talk, I'm never that busy." Guzma said calmly, taking his finger off your forehead. "I'm not forcing ya, but ya gotta know that there's someone here you can punch with no consequences, okay?"