Level 13: Remember How to Breathe

VIOLET

I didn't know how long it had been, but my heart was still beating way too quickly to be healthy.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Axel pulled the car to a stop. I blinked, trying to take in our surroundings. We were parked on the side of an empty road. I was pretty sure we'd driven all the way out of town.

We'd literally been seconds from getting caught.

I leaned over, my head between my knees. Putting your head between your knees prevented you from vomiting, right?

Yeah, I don't think vomiting would be the best idea right now.

"Oh my goodness," I whispered. "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness..."

Axel's voice was wary. "You okay?"

Nope.

Nope I was not.

I lifted my head, my gaze sliding to him. I blinked.

I hadn't noticed before, but he was still drenched, water sticking his clothes to his skin, and messing with the style of his hair. He must have lost his hat while we were running. His eyes were slightly wide, both frenzied and concerned.

He looked nothing like himself.

Abruptly, I started laughing.

"That," I rasped, between bursts of laughter, "was—terrifying."

And then he started laughing too. He dragged a hand through his hair, his eyes shining so bright that they were almost luminescent. "Violet Madison, you are crazy."

That only made me laugh harder.

I think I was losing my sanity.

"We are never doing that again," I finally choked out, my voice hoarse.

He flashed a grin. "You didn't enjoy it?"

I gave him a look that told him exactly what I thought of our adventure.

He laughed, his smile growing.

The moonlight gleamed over his skin, and his eyes twinkled.

He looks beautiful.

I blinked, surprised at the thought. And then my eyes flickered to his shirt, which was sticking close enough to his skin that I could now see his abs.

I looked away quickly.

"How do you feel about fast food?" Axel asked after a moment, when his laughter faded.

I leaned back, shutting my eyes and trying to slow my heartbeat. "Fast food would be great."

*

This chapter's super short, so there's a double update today to make up for it :)

God bless

xxx

Yemi Everest