23. | out of sight

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing and roll over, groaning in pain and exhaustion

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing and roll over, groaning in pain and exhaustion. Glancing at the unknown caller ID, I hesitate slightly but still pick up.

"Hello?" I mumble into the phone with a rough morning voice as I continue to lay on my side. A few seconds pass by, not a single noise from the other side. All I can hear is some heavy breathing, causing me to sit up straight. "Who's this?" I whisper, my voice giving away my sudden nerves.

A deep chuckle sounds from the other side, one that couldn't be mistaken to be from anyone other than Ethan. Relaxation falls upon me as a smile automatically creeps on my face. I lay back on my back as I chew on my bottom lip, staring at the ceiling.

"Well, good morning." Ethan's raspy morning voice greets me and my heart beat immediately accelerates. "Look at you, picking up phone calls of unknown callers. Don't do that, could be creepers—" I can imagine his grinning expression by his tone, searching for a word to finish his sentence. "Babe."

My stomach flutters at his words. I hate how he can make me feel with just some words. We're starting to act like a couple, it makes me sick and giggle at the same time. I'm so drawn to him, I wish we could be physically close all the time. I wish I could kiss him.

God, I wish I could kiss him.

"Thanks for the advice babe."  I mimic him as I start playing with a string of hair. I don't know where the confidence is coming from, but I'm assuming it's the fact that there's such a distance between us at this moment. In front of him, my mind turns to mush and my legs weaken. Now, I can tease him a little and enjoy it, making him have a taste of his own medicine.

"Say that again." He breathes into the phone.

"Say what?" I mutter, a questioning tone lacing my innocent demeanor. "Babe?" I play along, hearing him sharply inhale a breath in on the other side.

"I like that."

God, fuck this distance. This is aggravating. My entire body is aching just to be in his hold. I feel all warm and fuzzy because of our interaction of words. Sadly, but realistically, I don't want to start something we can't finish. Even though I'd die to be able to.

"How are you even calling me, aren't you supposed to be in jail or something?" I change the subject for both of our sake.

This earns me a chuckle from him. "You know, I am actually permitted to place up to 120 minutes of telephone calls every month. I've just never called you before." Stupid question. Of course, he gets to call. At least my change of subject helped, a little.

"Oh," I simply reply, "But aren't you only allowed to call relatives?" Relevant question from my side for once. I'm pretty sure they could be tracking and listening to his calls if they're thinking he'd acting suspicious. Makes sense, since a lot of inmates, particularly the ones that are part of gangs, would try to order hits on people through calls.