25. | the puzzle pieces

There are two types of people

The first kind consists of people that, no matter the surroundings, hints or previous trust issues, take a long time to find the puzzle pieces, let alone putting them in the correct place. The second kind, however, consists of people that recognize a present connection, it doesn't take long for them to complete the entire puzzle.

I'm obviously the first kind.

As the questions in my head keep multiplying by the second and my brain feels like it might explode due to the pressure, two yellow post-it's on my desk catch my eye. I walk closer and pick up the first one to see an unfamiliar handwriting.

I knew you wouldn't accept to meet me alone, I understand. However, please come meet me at the nearest park to your house, tomorrow. It's a public area, so you don't have to worry. Just come alone, I can't afford to trust anyone. — Reed.

I frown as I take the other post-it next to it, smiling at the sight of a familiar writing. Ethan must have written it when I had to leave my office because I was summoned by another guard.

I know that even if I told you to not go, you'd be stubborn and still go so just be careful Daisy. You deserve to know more.

After reading both post-it's, I text Cole and Lexi both to ask which one of them is available tomorrow morning. I'm just going to insist on having someone next to me.

The next morning arrives rather quickly, as I am already in my office working on some stuff I'm behind on. I munch on my toast while typing out a report on a client. Cole has texted me back about having to work all day, Lexi told me she had to leave this morning due to some family emergency.

Before my conscious kicks in and stops me, I grab my bag from the couch and walk out of my office, locking the door behind me. Trying to not catch anyone's eye, I hurry down the hallway while calling a cab to pick me up.

Once again, I am reminded of the fact that I should really start driving lessons. It's not even the money, this paid work practice is more than enough to pay for it, but it seems like I just can't find the time to actually call and plan a first lesson. Another thing that should be added to my to do list, but first: let's see what Reed has to tell me.

▀▀▀▀

"Thanks." I say as I hand the cab driver the money for the ride and jump out of the car. This feels like the third time this week. Taking a bus would also be an option but honestly, I really do not have enough patience to wait for those.

I shiver as the cold winter wind blows in my face, cover half of my face with the fuzzy scarf around my neck and start walking to the area where I think he'll be waiting for me. I continue following the main path, glancing around at people walking by. I squint my eyes and notice a male figure in the distance.