C3: I Refuse

Alpha Phoenix stalked in, and he looked every bit as dangerous as I was led to believe. Tattoos covered what bare skin I could see. He had dark brown hair, the sharpest jaw I had ever seen, and a perfect nose. His eyes were a violet color, and when they locked onto mine I knew without a shred of doubt what he was going to say before he said it.

"Mate."

*****

I stared at him in disbelief. No. This couldn't be happening. He was a monster. 

He ignored all of my fellow pack members and headed straight for me, his stride determined. I subtly shook my head and took a step back. This wasn't real. This was a dream, a nightmare-

"My daughter is your mate?" My father stood taller and looked at him, a steely look in his eye. Alpha Phoenix stopped in front of us and didn't spare me a glance as he answered. "Yes." 

Even though I didn't want him as a mate, I felt a pain in my chest when he disregarded me as though I were nothing. However, this only strengthened my resolve when I said I didn't want him. I hadn't told Trish or anyone else, but I had already packed a bag to leave if it came to that, and I had a growing fear it would most definitely come to that. Alpha Phoenix didn't seem the type of man to let go of his mate easily, but I was as stubborn as a mule.  

I refused to go with him. 

My father looked at me and then back at him. "Is this true, Adira?" 

On the outside, his voice was calm and collected but I could hear the underlying trace of panic. I shook my head. "No." 

The lie tasted bitter on my tongue, but I had no other choice. Alpha Phoenix's eyes pierced mine and he clenched his jaw, nostrils flaring.

 "What did you just say?" He asked, voice deathly quiet. 

I gulped but held my ground. I lifted my chin and squared my shoulders. "You're not my mate."

Without warning, he took both wrists in his hands. I gasped as shocks traveled up and down my arm and he smirked with dark amusement. "You were saying?" 

I tried to break free but he tightened his hold. I ignored the other tingles and glared at him. "Your hands were cold. It startled me, that's all." 

My father took a step forward, eyes flashing yellow, a sign that his wolf was going to come out. "Adira says that you're not her mate and I believe her. Now get your hands off my daughter." 

Alpha Phoenix tilted his head. "Adira. What a lovely name." 

I held back the shiver that threatened to give me away. I had to get these emotions under control or else I would find myself in the hands of this killer. "My Mother gave it to me." 

I heard a few snickers at the sarcastic response, but I ignored them as my brow furrowed. Where was my mom, anyways? She should be here. In fact, I hadn't seen her all of today or yesterday, which was unusual. 

I bit my lip as I thought and a growl brought me back to the present. Alpha Phoenix stared at my lips. His eyes were dark, a sign of lust. 

Alright, that's it. I yanked with all my strength and managed to break free, though from the pain raking down my arms, I knew his nails would leave scratches. I didn't bother checking, my pulse racing. 

I turned around and shoved past my dad, then proceeded to run to the back of the house. I heard my mate shouting orders but I focused on sprinting as fast as I had ever dared to before. I had to get out of here. I swerved into a branching hallway and ran upstairs. I shoved the guest bedroom door open and pulled the window open with vigor, almost breaking it in the process.