C8: The Rogue

Sunlight streamed through a window, urging me to open my eyes. I yawned and turned my head into my pillow, blocking out some of the light. Just like I typically did every morning, I went to roll over and stretch.

That's when the problem's started. I suddenly became aware of the warmth running up and down my back and ass, and my legs were tangled up in somebody else's. My eyes shot open in alarm and I tried to disentangle myself but I heard a grunt and was pulled back into the same spooning position I was trying to escape.

"Phoenix." I whispered, trying to lift his arms.

No response. What the hell happened to the pillow barrier?!

"Go back to bed." He answered back, his voice all but a husky breath.

I clamped down the feelings that were rising in me and became adamant. I didn't want to be in this position with a guy I was supposed to keep my distance with: that was the reason for the pillows! But a fat lot of good that did me. Look where I am now.

I tried again, squirming to get out of his hold. "Phoenix!" I whisper-yelled at the exact same time his hands squeezed my hip. "Adira." He warned.

I yelped and jerked away, unable to hold stop myself. I took him by surprise and he exclaimed," Jeez, woman, what's got you so jumpy?"

There was a beat of silence. And then, he poked my side. I squealed and tried to get out of his hold but he pulled me back and trapped me between his arms. We were now in the position where he was on top of and I underneath. "So you're ticklish."

He said it as a statement, not a question, so I didn't answer him.

Phoenix grinned evilly and then tickled both of my sides with vigor. I shrieked and tried to punch him but he dodged every try, and so I tried to kick him. I managed a solid one on his stomach that probably hurt my foot more than it did him, but it did the job. He stopped for a second and that was all I needed.

I rolled over and off the bed, then sprung right up and eyed him warily. He was sprawled out on the bed with a lazy grin on his face. How did he manage to look so good right in the morning, when I probably looked like a dirty sock after it had been run over by 100 trucks and then dragged through mud?

Phoenix slowly sat up and stretched, light illuminating his perfect body. I spotted a small mandala on his right hip and couldn't help but wonder what the stories were behind each tattoo.

"Like what you see?" Phoenix asked, the smirk never leaving his face.

Instead of getting flustered, I popped out my hip and placed a hand on it, ever so subtly arching my back. "Maybe. Do you like what you see?"

His answer was to pin me to the door. "Yes." He whispered right above my lips.

I swallowed and turned away, ruining the moment. "Liar. I probably look god awful like I always do in the morning. I'm going to take my shower."

Undeterred, he grabbed a lock of my hair. "You don't look god awful. And you don't have to take a shower- you smell amazing and you look gorgeous. Besides,"-

He stepped back, finally allowing me to breath,"-we don't have time. We overslept. We have to be on the road in 10 minutes, so pack your bags. When you're done, meet me outside. I'll be waiting for you."

Phoenix grabbed his suitcase and was about to walk out the door without a shirt on. Rolling my eyes, I picked up his forgotten shirt from the ground. I ran over to him and touched his bare back.

"You forgot your shirt, doofus." I said, handing it to him.

He grinned and snatched the shirt from my grasp. "Who said I forgot it?"