Chapter 2

The next day I find myself staring at my reflection after my usual morning fitness routine. I don't like my reflection. My blond hair refuses to stay in the quiff I want it to be. It's more of permanent just-rolled-out-of-bed quiff.

My grey eyes aren't exactly eyes anyone could get lost in like in romantic movies. My waist is not as slim as a waist I would find attractive. My upper legs are too voluptuous while my ankles and wrists are too skinny. I guess I have a sort of bubble but, but I've seen better.

What I do like is the small tattoo of a cat Cynthia allowed me to get on my wrist. But I just like the tattoo, not my skin or anything, so I don't know if that counts. My phone starts playing Spooky Scary Skeletons and vibrates. Ethan is calling me. I just stare at it until it goes quiet.

I sigh and decide to just get ready for school. Black shirt, black zip-up hoodie, ripped, black skinny jeans, black converse. Looking colorful today Reiss. Why thank you Reiss. You're welcome Reiss. I grab my bag off the floor and leave.

After spending five minutes waiting on the curb in front of the apartment building I live at and eating a banana Ethan pulls up on his motorcycle. He takes off his helmet and narrows his eyes at me. "I called." he says. "I watched it ring." I reply. Then I walk towards him and start playing with his hair. "You died your hair green?" I ask in a dramatic manner. Ethan scoffs at me but smiles. "No, deep purple. Are you colorblind?" he retorts. I notice the pun.

His sarcasm is so sneaky you want to believe everything he says. Even I sometimes find myself second guessing what he says and I'm his best friend.

He passes me the helmet. I take it and put in on my head. Then I climb on the motorcycle behind him and tighten my arms around his waist. He kicks off. All throughout the way to school I mess with the zipper of his leather jacket. There's a legit chance I wrecked it. It's happened before though and he never got angry at me for it so I feel safe.

There is something I really don't understand about my best friend though. Even with a helmet on the wind raging around us bothers me. So how does he survive these trips without wearing one? I always think about this during the ride but always end up forgetting to ask about it.

The school building arises in front of us like the fiery gates of hell. We park Ethan's motorcycle and head towards our doom. I suddenly remember my first period is French and that I don't remember shoving the required textbook for it in my bag. So I ditch Ethan and race to my locker, hoping the blasted thing is in there.

Turns out that it is. I roll my eyes up to towards the sky and shoot out a quick thank you prayer to whatever entity is willing to listen. If no one listens that's fine too. I shove the book and my bag and let my eyes scan the hallway. My gaze lands on a familiar face. Oh my fucking God it's the guy from the video Ethan sent yesterday. And he's walking right next to my crush.

My eyes grow so wide I'm afraid they're going to pop out of their sockets. Clear blue eyes catch my awkward gawking and glare at me. I quickly turn away and hide my face in my locker. The group of sophomores passes by and I watch after them. I focus on Laurence Hill's backside and bite my lip. That ass.

Yes I'm a junior. Yes I know he's a year younger than me. No I can't help crushing on the guy. The only reason I know his name is because I was in the mathletes thing with him last year. But he didn't show up to the sign ups this year, which resulted in me not signing up either. Other than that I know nothing about him. That makes me wonder though. The guy from the video reminded me of him... Could it be they're brothers? Cousins? I decide to shake my head and let it go. I have a French class to get to.