Chapter 16

Monday morning I climb on the bus to school wearing a snapback, backwards, and sunglasses while I'm holding a cup of coffee. Not a styrofoam cup, I'm talking about an actual mug Cynthia didn't notice me take with me when I left.

Lucas welcomes me with a weirded out look on his face and a raised eyebrow. The other people on the bus are looking at me weirdly too, I even recognise some face from school, but I don't care. I plop down on the seat next to Lucas and calmly take a sip of my coffee.

"Dude... What the fuck." my friend says. "I'm celebrating my ethnic heritage by dressing as a twenty ten white boy." I respond, my face still blank. "Dude, I think this look is from way before twenty ten even." Lucas exclaims and starts snickering. I think I can actually hear the sound of a phone camera going off. Looks like I might fulfill my dream of becoming a meme after all. I slide my hand down Lucas his face and go 'shhhhhhh' to calm him down. It didn't work and he just laughs louder. It's kind of contagious and I find myself smiling too as I take another sip of my coffee.

When we reach my locker in school Lucas finally forms a normal sentence again. "So what's the real reason you're so stylish today?" he asks. I sigh and enter the combination of my very own box of metal. Thank you, school, I've always wanted one of those. "I'm hiding the evidence that I didn't shower this weekend and stayed up all night." I mumble.

Lucas grimaces and shakes his head. "Ew, you've got to be kidding." he says. I turn my head to him and briefly raise the tacky sunglasses to show him the bags under my eyes. "Okay so you're not kidding." he says. "How come you didn't sleep?"

I sigh as I start looking through my text books and try to remember my classes. "I defied death by waking up from a coma and society congratulates me by going 'Hey! Here's all the school work you missed, we want it by next week.'". I complain. Lucas shakes his head and laughs while looking through his phone. "And you procrastinated until last night?" he asks. I nod. "I procrastinated until last night".

Actually that's not entirely true. I was done with the homework by one AM. But I couldn't fall asleep because I kept reflecting on my slutty behaviour regarding Olivier and Terrence. I can't tell Lucas that though.

I take a textbook out of my locker, put my half empty cup of coffee in there and close the locker. For a brief moment I just stand there and blink a few times. Then I drop my head against the locker and groan because of the stupid thing I just did. Lucas shakes his head at me with a frown and pats my back. "There, there..."

"What happened?" Olivier suddenly asks from behind me. I lift my head and turn around, then I wordlessly just hug him. "He didn't get any sleep last night." Lucas informs him. Oli gasps and pushes me back slightly while holding onto my shoulders. "That's not healthy Reiss! Come I'll bring you to the nurse." he says and starts dragging me away. Lucas follows behind us. I can hear him laugh right before he pushes his phone in front of my face.

It's a short video of me sitting down next to Lucas on the bus this morning and dragging my hand down his face like a sass queen. Even I have to admit I look like a bitch but it's hilarious. It was posted by some guy named Tommy Lance and captioned as 'no fucks to give level: Reiss Irving'.

"Oh my God the fucker knows my name!" I exclaim while laughing. "Who is he anyway?"

Lucas shakes his head at me but fails to hide is grin. "Tommy's in my math class and Oli said he's seen him in your cooking class." he explains. I nod. "Oli you gotta wake me up for that class I need to tell him something."

Olivier sighs and shakes his head but promises he will.

After a twenty minute nap I enter the cooking class with Oli and immediately get down to business. "Who the fuck is Tommy!?" I yell and look around. Some guy with brown hair and brown eyes raises his hand and grins mischievously at me. I grin back and walk over to him with an extended fist. "You're awesome." I say while he bumps his fist against mine. "Thanks, I know." the guy replies and I snort. What a cocky bastard. We're gonna get along just fine.

While I walk back over to the cooking station I share with Oli I suddenly remember the guy's name. He was the weird popular guy who said it was good to have me back! Coincidence? I think not...

When the class is over the Tommy guy catches up to me in the hallway. I raise a questioning eyebrow at him while munching on the butterscotch cookies Oli made today. "Hey Reiss I have to do this interview thing for English and I was wondering if I could intervieuw you." he rambles. I look at Oli who frowns slightly and shrugs. Then I look back at Tommy. "Sure, during lunch or something?" I respond. Tommy nods enthusiastically and runs off. He really just ran away without another word. I thought people only do that in movies or anime.

With a shrug I turn back to Oli. "These are the best cookies I've ever eaten." I tell him honestly and throw my arms around him causing him to laugh. "I love you." I say and he tensens. Then he relaxes again and sighs.

"You say that because of the food?" he questions. I nod and get started on another cookie. Oli doesn't stop smiling until he disappears into his next class.