9. "Rebecca doesn't deserve you."

Damian's POV

I'll never forget the last conversation I had with my father though at the time, I didn't know it was going to be the last time I would have a conversation with him. It was a day before he had the heart attack. I remembered going into his office after an appointment. We talked about football and then the conversation began to get deeper.

Don't work too much, son, because your life will be over before you know it. Enjoy life, enjoy the people you love.

Enjoy the people you love.

Of course when he told me that, I knew he was talking about my runaway wife. From everyone else, my father was the one who understood me most. I thought he felt a little guilty because I had followed his footsteps in becoming a doctor and then I was wifeless. This was a very rewarding job but it came with sacrifices.

Seeing Rebecca again had changed me. I had spent the last three years feeling so angry. Angry at Rebecca. Angry at myself. Angry at the world. I was miserable. Every day felt the same as I buried myself in work.

Seeing her again-it was as if the past three years hadn't happened. It was like I had been shaken up to life. I had a purpose again. I was a husband again.

Right now, I wanted nothing but to be Rebecca's husband.

There was a knock on the door and then it opened and Karen peeked in. She always had the habit of doing that. It was as if the knock was announcing her entrance rather than asking for permission to enter.

"Hey." She said closing the door behind her after she walked into my office.

"Good afternoon." I said looking away from the computer.

"How are you?" she asked sitting down.

I frowned. "Good? What's going on?"

Karen and I met back in medical school. We actually dated for a few months before I met Rebecca. We lost contact after graduation until my father hired her about a year ago. She was also a pediatrician.

"Uh-" she smiled. "The nurses said you seemed weird today."

The nurses. I swear they needed to just do their job instead of being gossipers on the side.

"Weird how?"

"I don't know, cheerful?"

I chuckled. "I should smile more often huh?"

Karen studied me. "You do look different. Is it because you slept a little more today?"

I didn't usually like to share my personal life with anyone but if I did, it would be to Karen.

"Rebecca came back." I said after a moment.

Did she come back though? She had stayed because I asked her to but she was here only for the rest of the week and then she was leaving again.

That thought hunted me. I didn't want her to leave. I needed to do something.

"What?" Karen looked shocked. "What do you mean she returned? When?"

"Yesterday."

Had it been just yesterday? It felt like so much had happened. At the same time, I was happy it was only yesterday. It meant I still had a few more days with her.

"And you took her back? Just like that?"

There was an edge in her voice that I didn't like. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Why didn't I keep my mouth shut?

I sighed. "Karen-"

She leaned across the table so she could hold my gaze. "No. I'm sorry, Damian, but she left you. She hurt you. Or did you forget that already?"