29. "Damian, please don't do this."

Damian's POV

A baby.

I was going to be a father.

It was 2 weeks after Rebecca had been here in California to tell me she was pregnant and I still couldn't believe it. It was one of those things that you would forget for a moment as you went throughout your day and then suddenly the thought would pop into your head and it would make you feel happy and smile out of no where and everyone would wonder why you're such in a good mood. At least that was how it had been for the past two weeks at work.

I hadn't told anyone the news yet mostly because I wanted to keep it to myself for a moment. My secret happiness. Just between Rebecca and I...and Alexa who was the only other person that knew.

Of course, I would have to tell Aaron and my mom soon...

It somehow seemed surreal that Rebecca was pregnant probably because we weren't living together yet. If it was hard to live in a different state than her before, it was even harder now. All I wanted was to be with her to care for her and give her anything she needed.

Alexa will be leaving to New York during the second week of June which was two weeks away. I didn't want to leave Rebecca alone. I wouldn't. So I told her I would go stay with her until we could both come back to California-after she sold her house.

"Damian, that's not really necessary." She told me over the phone when I told her I would go stay with her.

"Of course it is." I insisted. "I want to be with you."

"What about the clinic?"

"I will leave Karen in charge for now."

She got quiet on the other line at the mention of Karen. I knew Rebecca wasn't jumping with joy at the fact that I worked with Karen-I should have known sooner. I understood. I really did and I wanted nothing more than make Rebecca happy...the thing was that I needed Karen right now. She was the only one who knew the clinic as good as me.

When I told her that I was going to Nevada to spend time with Rebecca, Karen didn't object in staying in charge of the clinic. And I thought that maybe Rebecca and I were wrong. Maybe Karen didn't have any feelings for me and it was all okay.

And then I said, "Rebecca is pregnant and I want to spend as much time with her as I can."

My smile faded when I saw Karen's reaction. She was trying to hide it but I knew her too well. She was hurt. I immediately regretted saying anything at all. I wasn't thinking about what I was saying. I was too excited.

"Wow." Karen finally said then cleared her throat. "A baby. That's-great! Exciting. I know you've always wanted a family, Damian, congrats."

"Thank you," I said quietly. "Yes, it's very exciting."

She nodded slowly, as if she were trying to assimilate the news. "Well, I better go," she said after a moment grabbing her purse. "Have a good trip. Don't worry about the clinic. I'll take care of it."

I decided not to tell her that I wouldn't leave for another week. I had things to do and could use the time off work anyway.

"Thank you," I said but she was already walking out the door.

That was when I realized Rebecca was right. I couldn't keep working with Karen for the good of both of us. She needed to move on too. I would eventually have to let her go. It felt selfish but it would have to wait until after Rebecca and I came back. If I let Karen go right now, I wouldn't be able to go to Rebecca and I needed to be there with her. Karen was the only one who could look after the clinic for an undetermined amount of time. We didn't know how long it was going to take to sell Rebecca's house and settle things at her job.