Chapter 30

Saturday night, my friends and I meet Tara on the other side of the school's gate. Derek, Creighton, Lauren and I made sure no one was following us before making our way out here, though I'm pretty sure all of us are still on edge.

Tara, too, can hardly stand still when Derek explains the plan to her.

"Can you find her?" I ask, shooting my sister a hopeful look.

Tara nods.

"Yeah, I mean, I think I can," she says, "it worked with you, and I saw her that night so I know what she looks like."

Tara offers Derek one of her hands, and Creighton takes the other. I take Derek's other hand, and Lauren completes the chain by gripping my fingers securely.

Tara inhales a fortifying breath, closing her eyes. Keeping them closed, she turns on her heel, and the ground disappears from under my feet.

When my sneakers slam onto the grass again, I'm standing in front of a small cottage. It's seemingly in the middle of nowhere, and right now I can't make out any light in its windows.

Lauren releases me, and I let go of Derek's hand. My sister is looking around thoughtfully, the fascination clear on Tara's face.

"This place looks cool," she says, "but I have a weird feeling about it. Someone evil lives here, but they're not here now."

"How do you know that?" Derek wonders, walking along the side of the cottage.

"It's just a feeling I have." Tara shrugs.

"Do you know where this place is?" I ask, curious.

"It's near where we were last week, but not in the town," Tara comments, "I think it's probably between that town and the next, or somewhere in the country?"

The five of us walk around, surveying the scene. I'm beginning to wonder if this is really the place when Lauren spots a high fence behind the cottage.

"Look at this!" she orders, pointing a finger at it. On the other side, closed in by the fence, is Marco's army. They're milling about restlessly, as though they don't know where to go or don't have the sense to get there.

Derek steps up to the makeshift prison, looking through the fence at them.

"Where's Amber?" he wonders, "I don't see her."

Lauren shakes her head.

"She's not here."

"Did whoever's living here take her with them when they went out?" I wonder.

Creighton shakes her head.

"They wouldn't risk someone seeing her. Not yet."

Tara frowns.

"I bet she's inside." she says.

"Makes sense," Derek adds, "she's the most important one to them. They'd want to make sure that she's well protected, and that she can't get away easily."

We make our way hastily around the back of the cottage, stepping up to the front door.

Lauren tries the handle.

"Locked." she says.

"On it," says Tara, "you guys probably know the drill by now."

The five of us form a chain again, Lauren taking one of my hands and Derek the other.

Tara turns on the spot, and this time we reappear in a small hallway. There's an exquisite table positioned against one wall nearby, and the door to the outside world is behind us.