Chapter Thirty Three

I had to combine things or else you would've gotten two short as hell chapter so, unfortunately, this is THE LAST CHAPTER I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. ENJOY!!!

Chapter Thirty Three

I found myself glancing in the direction the howl had come from, Sage's eyes remaining on Anise. There, not too far away stood the yellow-eyed wolf that had led us to the King when we could not find him. She watched the scene that had unfolded before her, her eyes holding more knowledge than any of us were aware.

The dogs' attentions shifted, both baring their teeth at the wolf. As of now, the wolf was a larger threat than I and Sage were. I was both amazed by her presence and grateful for the diversion she had created for us.

"Perhaps all the wolves haven't perished," Anise murmured, a smirk sliding onto her face. "But it does not matter." She then gave a sharp whistle, sending the dogs soaring through the air after not us, but the wolf.

Anise then ran, using the distraction to her advantage. "Go," he urged, not telling me where but I understood, watching as he charged off in the direction Anise had gone.

I went in the other direction, going to where the wolf was. I was not sure if she was able to fend off two dogs on her own, but together perhaps the odds would be in our favor.

I could hear her snarl as one leapt onto her back, sinking its teeth into the scruff of her neck. The other used the opportunity, going for her hind leg. I quickly searched the ground, knowing I would do little to no damage with my bare hands.

I found a sturdy branch, one I prayed would not break within the first hit. I did not give it much through before I tightened my grip on it, swinging it down on the dog riding her. I heard the dog yelp in either surprise or pain, losing its hold on her.

The moment it dropped to the ground, the wolf turned its attention to the other dog. I did not allow my own to gain its senses back before letting the branch soar through the air again, snapping and breaking against its hind leg.

I heard its snarl before it flew towards me, driven by rage. We both fell to the ground and all I could do was grab it around the neck, forcing it away from me. Even so, it snapped its teeth at me, thirsting for blood. It was her howl that saved me.

It was a short one, but enough. Within moments, several wolves joined us, attacking the dogs. I watched in awe, unable to do more.

They worked together gracefully, distracting the dogs from one side before attacking from the other. It was not long before the snarling ceased, both dogs never to be heard again.

She turned towards me but made no move to come forward. I nodded from the ground, whispering, "Thank you." I had no doubt that she understood me. Because she then turned, leading her pack of wolves in the direction she had come from.

My body desired to rest, but I knew it was not the end yet. I instead got up, limping through the forest. When I found Sage, I sighed in relief, leaning against the closest tree.

Anise stood in front of him with a cruel expression, but it was the knife he held at her throat that stopped her from doing anything. When Sage saw me, he nodded his head in the direction of the castle. "Let us go. We have little time to tell this to the councilmen."

I smiled, watching Todd lower his body to the ground, wiggling it before flying into the air, paws landing on the fake mouse that Shaterria had bought for him. He brought the brown thing with him everywhere, treating it as both his foe and cub.

I shook my head, sighing as I finished changing the bandages on my leg. I would surely have permanent scars from the incident but I was grateful that everything still functioned appropriately.