02.

Chanel

"Umm Chanel, why is your mother's house up for sale?" Nikki asked as we pulled into my mom's drive way

"I have no idea." I replied, parking the car and getting out. Nikki looked at me. "What?" I asked.

"You mean to tell me that she didn't tell you she was selling the house." She said.

"We haven't talked in weeks." I said.

"I don't understand y'all relationship." She said.

It's hard to believe that the small packet of white powder could cause so much trouble. It was the reason my mother had stopped loving me. It was the reason I wouldn't see my mother again.

Before the evil dust came into our lives my mother and I were inseparable. We were more best friends than mother and daughter. My mother had had me six months after she had graduated from high school. She had never really mentioned my father, never even told him I existed. She had explained to me that my father wasn't 'a very nice man' and that it was best that I did not know him. When I had gotten older, a little bit more daring, I had questioned the reason why my mother had been with him in the first place. She smiled softly before telling me that she had been young and dumb.

Growing up my mother and I lived in the semi gritty neighborhoods of Miami, Florida. We lived in a small two-story aging home along with my mother's mother, my grandmother. Before I started school, my grandmother would take care of me while my mother was at work. Even now I remember my grandmother sitting on the couch knitting me a hat while she watched her favorite soap opera, The Young and the Restless.

My mother had been wary about me being around the opposite sex. Having gotten pregnant at such a young age, she hadn't wanted me to take the same road she had. She would sometimes joke that I wasn't allowed to date until I had graduated from college. Even still she would eye my male classmates suspiciously making sure none of them had any interest in me. She hadn't known that she had nothing to worry about. That the only guys I was interested in were fictional characters.

But that all changed when my grandmother passed. Her mother's death had taken a toll on my mother and she became deeply depressed. That first week after my grandmother's passing had been the hardest. Mom had extreme mood swings; one minute she would be yelling at me for spilling a glass of water and the next minute she would beg me to hold her as she cried into my shoulder.

After the funeral though my mother's mood swings ceased and she just became...lifeless. I was only 13 at the time, still just a kid. I hadn't known what to do. She had stopped going to work. She didn't even get out of bed. She would just lie on her side blinking at the opposite wall. It had gotten so bad that I would have to actually force her to eat.

"Mom!" I yelled walking into the house.

"Chanel!" She yelled back.

"And Nikki!" Nikki added.

"I'm in the kitchen!" She exclaimed.

We walked into the kitchen and saw her packing things up in a box. Nikki walked to the refrigerator and opened it. She grabbed two water bottles and handed me one.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I'm moving." She replied.

"And you didn't tell me because?" I asked.

"Chanel, I'm a grown woman. I don't have to tell you anything. I can do whatever I want." She replied.

"But I'm YOUR daughter." I said.

"Trust me I know. I have the stretch marks to remind me." She said.

"Coco butter will help with that." Nikki said.

Mom smiled at Nikki. She looked at me and rolled her eyes.

"Why do you hate me?" I asked her.

She looked at me and sighed.

"I don't hate you. I just didn't want you. I was forced to grow up and be a mother. I want to live the life I didn't get to live thats why I'm saling the house." She answered.

"Then you should have gave me to my father if you wasn't ready to be a mother." I said.

"Like your life would've been better with him." She said.

"Maybe, you don't know that." I said.

"Trust me, your father is better off not knowing about you." She said.

She walked out of the kitchen with a box in her hands. Nikki was going through another box when she pulled out a folder.

"What's that?" I asked.

"It's your birth certificate and two letters." She replied opening it. She quickly put it in her purse right before mom walked in the kitchen.

"Can you guys leave? I have buyers coming soon." Mom said.

"Okay, let's go Chanel." Nikki said.

"Alright." I said following Nikki out of the house.

"Nikki, why did you take the folder?" I asked, her once we reached my car.

"Because we're going to find your dad, Chanel." She answered.