Chapter 1: The News

Krissy's Point of View
Taking in the new city, I was surprised, yet relieved about my location. This was the new start I had been needing. I was about to officially finish school and I was already hired at the most pristine law firm in the country. They were ready to hand me cases left and right. All I had to do was pass the bar exam and my future was set. Nothing could get in my way.

Looking out at New York City, Manhattan, I noticed how everything seemed like it never stopped. It definitely was the city that never sleeps. People were walking around, enjoying life and taking in everything and everyone. This was the life I had worked for. This was the life I deserved.

"Kristina, please report to my office." I heard my intercom go off. I grabbed my black agenda and filed out of my small office. I made the short walk to my boss, smiling at all my coworkers. They were all nice and caring. It made work actually fun. Coming around the corner, I saw my boss' secretary, Joanne sitting outside his office. The petite blonde smiled up at me before gesturing for me to enter his office.

I pushed on the glass door and found my boss sitting in front of his all white desk. It was piled high with papers as he struggled to organize them. He would always ask me for help sorting out the good cases from the bad. It was one of my favorite things to do. I mean organization is one of my favorite hobbies.

Mr. Marc Danforth looked up at me when he heard his door open. His brown eyes stared back at me with an excitement. I could tell there was something important that he was itching to tell me. He gestured for me to sit. I sat in one of the black chairs that were situated in front of him, making sure to smooth out my black skirt.

I was dressed in a purple blouse with three-quarter sleeves with a black pencil skirt that was past mid-thigh. My simple black heels added some height to my short frame, still being 5'2". My brown hair was straightened to perfection as my simple makeup hid any of my flaws. Those dark circles were brutal. I definitely need to get more sleep.

"Kristina, I have great news for you. My brother and I have decided that when you pass your bar exam, you will become one of our official partners, if you choose to." Marc told me. I widened my eyes in surprise. I was definitely not expecting that. I was at lost of words. It's still unbelievable to me to have been given such an amazing opportunity of working with these amazing lawyers and now they want to sign me on permanently. It's my dream come true.

"That is-wow. I am extremely honored sir. I would love to become a permanent partner. You guys have given me so much confidence and trust that I know I chose the right career for me. Thank you sir. This definitely means a lot." I found myself saying. My boss gave me his million dollar smile before lightly tossing a manila folder to me, landing on top of the desk. I took it and opened it up, scanning its contents.

"I know this isn't what you are used to, but we have a new client. Well, it's more of his client. Some big major football player got caught drunk driving for the third time. He's supposed to be going to jail for a year. He is trying to get out of it since it would ruin his career and a chance at the hall of fame. It's your job to defend him. His court date is about a month after your test, so I suggest you work even harder on this. It'll be your first case as an official lawyer." He told me. I opened my eyes in realization. I would be taking my test in less than a year. I knew I was more than ready for it but I was still scared of failure. Not everyone can pass it their first time. Only the best survive and I could only hope I was one.

"I'll do it sir. When will I be meeting with the client?" I asked. He sighed. I could instantly sense that something was wrong with this case. With that small thing, I felt that this was going to be a more difficult case than I originally thought. Hard work and dedication were definitely going to be needed if I wanted to win.