Moving On

Jasmine's POV

Emma and I sat down on the patio while Zenia was inside with Jevan.

"Jasmine, I need you to be very honest with me. I'm not here to judge you or yell at you and belittle you. I'm here for the truth. Can someone else be the father of baby Jevan?"

I shook my head no.

"Could Bradley Pittsburg have drugged you and had sex with you without your permission and knowledge?"

"No, Emma!" I snapped at her but quickly regretted it. "It never got to a stage where anything like that could have happened. I know what I did at the gala was messed up, and I know why Evan had doubts in the beginning, but I never slept with Bradley, or anyone else for that matter. I was always conscious when I was with Bradley, and never once had he forced himself onto me. We never even kissed. It was just a friendly get together whenever we got together and nothing more."

I was reaching a point where I couldn't stand this anymore. Everyone turned against me, and the world just seemed to be stuck on me. Gossip had already reached the media, and my son's name was being dragged through the dirt.

He was only a baby! What's wrong with some people to be badmouthing the names of innocent babies?

"Bastard child."

"He got the hair but he's not the heir."

"Will he ever get to know his real daddy?"

"What's the new surname going to be?"

I needed to get away from all of this drama and hatred. I was not about to bring up my child in this godforsaken place.

"I'm thinking about moving away," I told her.

"What? Why?"

"I really can't do this anymore, Emma. I'm trying, but I can't. Everyone, and everything, just seems to be against me. I can't catch a break." My last few words eked out with tears.

"It's okay, baby. It's okay." She pulled me into a hug to let me cry on her shoulder.

She spent the rest of the afternoon with Jevan when Zenia went out for a date, and I took a quick nap. I was so drained.

Emma's POV

"Hey baby, please laugh for Grandma Emma." 

I made a funny face and he gave a big smile. I took that opportunity to swab to his mouth using a clean cotton. I placed the sample into a Ziploc bag and placed it into my handbag.

I continued making silly faces for him since he was enjoying it so much.

Jasmine's POV

I woke up and heard laughter from Jevan. He was such a delight. Emma was making funny faces for him as he lie on his back in the crib. He was holding onto her fingers tightly.

"Hi, you're up," she said as she saw me looking at them.

"Yeah, I'm up."

"Okay. Well, you're going to have to take it from here. I'm heading back home."

"Thanks so much for everything, Emma. Jevan and I will miss you."

"It's okay, sweetie. And this is for the both of you." She handed me another yellow envelope, which I thought was the stupid DNA test.

"I can't take this Emma," I said quickly, when I saw it was some cold cash.

"Evan said you tore up the check. I'm certain you don't have enough money to get by. Just, please, take this."