• Chapter One •

|E T H A N ' S P O V|

- Twelve Years Ago -

Ethan's small paws were tired and in pain, as he tried to stay close to his mother who was running at full speed towards a neighboring pack not caring at all about her six-year-old son who was struggling to keep up with her.

The two were running because their pack was currently being under attack by a pack of rogues, who were releasing a strange chemical into the air that made anyone who inhaled it go insane before they started attacking people next to them. It didn't matter if you were friends, family, or even mates, people were just attacking people or being attacked themselves.

The Alpha of their pack had ordered everyone who was still sane to run to the neighboring pack so that they could hide while he called for help and fix the chaos that was happening around them. Unfortunately for Ethan, the neighboring pack was a long way from his pack and his mother wasn't a very calm or patient woman.

Most people would assume that mothers would always think about their children first before themselves but not this particular woman.

This woman was cruel and heartless.

She didn't care that her son was starting to fall behind, she didn't care that her son could get himself hurt somehow, she didn't even care that her son could be attacked by a rogue at any given second.

All she cared about was her own pitiful and selfish life.

"C-Can you slow down please?" Ethan whined through their mind link which only made his mother let out an irritated grunt.

'No.' She barked as she fastened her pace.

'P-Please my paws h-hurt.' Ethan begged.

'I. Said. No. Ethan' She growled in annoyance. 'Look. If you want to go slower you can but I'm not waiting up for up.' She stated motionlessly.

'W-Why not?' Ethan asked in a barely audible voice.

'Because I said so. I'm not risking my life for a mistake like you!' She spat.

It fell dead silent for a few seconds. The only sound that was heard was the sound of their paws running through the dirt before Ethan asked in a small voice:

'W-Why are you so mean to me?'

'Stop pestering me with your d_mn questions, Ethan.' She hissed.