four ➶ detention and unwanted tension

A/N: let's get this show on the roll!

Chapter four: detention and unwanted tension
//edited//

"May."

"May."

"May."

"What!" I yelled, clearly annoyed that Adam had 1) sat next to me in detention and 2) was saying my name over and over.

"Why didn't you want to come to detention?" He asked, putting his hand up so that his perfectly sculpted chin could rest on it.

I threw my hands in the air. "None of your beeswax."

He sat back in his chair as if he had given up. "Okay, fine."

Finally!

The bell rang and I shot out of my seat in order to get out of there as soon as possible. Walking through the doors I left Adam behind as I made my way through the deserted halls of the school. Once I made it to the parking lot I realized that my car wasn't there.

And the shuttle had already left.

Peachy.

Adam came strolling up next to me while twirling his car keys on his pointer finger and smirked when he saw that I didn't have a ride home.

"Your Mom coming?" He asked.

I just rolled my eyes and looked up at him. "My mom would never come to pick me up."

He looked surprised by how straightforward I was but brushed it off as he began to walk to his car. "You know," he said as he opened the drivers side of his truck. "I can give you a ride home."

I nodded, this is the only way I can get Home as this point without having to walk all the way there and get there by nine tonight.

But then it hit me. I live at the hospital now, how will he think of me once he sees that I'm seriously ill and only have a couple of years to live?

Well, if he's going to find out let's just rip off the band aid as fast as we can shall we.

I was still feeling weak as I walked to the car and hopped into the passenger side seat but decided to ignore it.

There was no way I'd let him see me as weak.

He put the keys in the ignition and asked where I lived but I just directed him to get onto Ipava avenue and head south to Cedar. He did as I said and the car fell into awkward silence.

"I have a question for you." I said, trying to fill the air with words that would make this less awkward.

"Shoot." He said while he put one hand on the wheel and one hand on the middle console.

"Why the sudden peak in interest?" I asked, expecting him to say some bullshit answer.

He shrugged and turned on his blinker on as I pointed to turn right down the street as we neared towards the hospital. "When my dad asked me to invite you, I had no idea who you where." He stated with a smirk on his face. "But now, I find it amusing to annoy you." He added.

I genuinely laughed at that, taking him completely by surprise. I couldn't stop even when we stopped at the stop light, it kept coming out and I couldn't stop it even if I tried. What better reason to hang out with someone than to annoy them?

He cracked into a grin. "You have a really cute laugh."

I just waved it off even though I felt special that this truck driving, football playing jock liked my laugh. It made me blush that I couldn't even seem to hide it even behind my curls.