1.5

CHAPTER FIVE

Memorable Gala

- - - - -

APOLLO MANSION
TWO MONTHS LATER

Thea was unconscious on her keyboard.

Her soft breathing filled the room, as well as the computerised beeps and dings that would keep at a steady rhythm as her software did as it was designed to. She had worked alongside S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Department of Defence in tracking down any information or sign that Tony was alive and kicking for over two months now. Thea didn't want to admit it, but she was starting to come to a reluctant conclusion that Stark was either deep in terror, or dead. Fury didn't want her to stop looking unless his body showed up. He wanted facts, confirmation, and logic. He didn't want to give up. He still had hope.

To bad it didn't rub off on her.

During the months of endless searching, Phil would always drop in on Thea and check on her progress. He would also keep her company when Lara or Luck were busy with keeping Apollo Enterprises running as smoothly as possible. Thea knew M.I.D.A.S. did most of the heavy lifting, but she wouldn't let Lara and Luck in on that, knowing they wouldn't take it lightly.

The press and public were more than happy that Thea was helping with the search and rescue mission. Though some people were suspicious for no reason, believing that she had a different agenda. They would blog about it, get their silly accusations all over the internet, only for Thea to shoot them down at every press conference. She didn't have the time or tolerance to deal with people who only wanted to put her in a false light of villainy. Thea knew who she was and she knew what she was doing, she didn't need others telling her otherwise.

Lara had been calling out for Thea as soon as she entered the mansion. M.I.D.A.S. had shushed her upon arrival, and directed her to her workstation on the top floor. Lara could hear the rock music being played at a quiet level when she entered the room. Papers, tools, unfinished inventions and coffee cups littered the entire place. She tried her best to tiptoe over them to avoid rustling around too much and causing a loud chain of reactions. Once she got to Thea's side soundlessly, she placed a hand on her shoulder, and gently shook her.

"Thea... wake up." She called.

Thea's head snapped up, and she wiped her eyes, letting out a yawn. She glanced up at Lara when she set a cup of coffee in front of her. "What day is it?" She asked.

Lara frowned. She wondered how long Thea had been up. "Uh, Friday?"

"You've been asleep for ten hours." M.I.D.A.S. praised. What was peculiar to Lara was that she could hear the smile in his artificial voice.

"And still no progress..." Thea checked her monitors, and huffed. For a long time she thought Atlas wasn't at full capability. She double checked everyday, only for the same quiet tracking to continue. Tony's kidnappers had a tight hold on their captive. Thea also wondered if they had any cloaking devices in the area, but then again, Atlas would have cracked through.

Lara pulled Thea's seat away from her desk, getting her boss to stand up and stretch. "Come on, I'll make you breakfast." She offered.

Thea nodded, and fished around for her watch in the piles of papers on her desk. Lara rose an eyebrow when Thea carelessly swatted a stack of notes off the table to reveal her watch. It seemed as if whatever mess was around Thea, she could find her way around it easily. She tapped the screen, and hummed at the time, glancing at Lara.