1.6

CHAPTER SIX

Tony Stark Returns

- - - - -

STARK INDUSTRIES HQ

Thea always hated dealing with crowds.

People always assume she was comfortable with public speaking since she did it often at many events. She would smile and laugh, including others in her speech. But in reality, the CEO was terrified of facing a large crowd. She tried her best to push that fear away when she had to talk in front of a group, knowing that in the end, she would be proud she stood up and powered through it. She wasn't sure what brought it on, but it must have began in high school. Because Thea had a flare for schooling the teachers when they were wrong, peers would call her names, and decide she wasn't cool enough to hang out with. Only those who were interested in her family's wealth stuck around, but not for long. Thea had to go through high school, and most of college without stable friendships. Anyone who ever got close to her, left in the end.

Luck knew this. He knew she felt this way. As much as he tried to assure her he wasn't going anywhere, she would only smile. Thea believed that Luck had to retire at some point and leave to do the things that made him happy for the rest of his life. Sometimes when she got really low, she would think to herself that he was only with the company as a courtesy to her parents. A lot of people do things for her because of her parents.

This only made Thea more determined to make a name for herself. She wanted to leave her mark on the world, so she busied herself with work. All Thea wanted was to help others through technology, because it was what she knew best. And so far, it was working out pretty well.

Currently, Thea was on her way to Stark Industries Headquarters, the place to be since the long lost CEO was on his way home. Rhodey had called it in that they found Stark stumbling through the desert alone, slightly battered and bruised, but alive. News vans and reporters were swarming the place for their first shot at man of the hour. Cameramen were taking photos of anything that moved, hoping to catch something worth printing in tomorrow's newspapers.

Thea couldn't help but chuckle when she noticed most of the female newscasters removed their jackets, fluffing up their hair in case Tony glimpsed their way for even a fraction of a second. She was standing by her car with Lara, holding her coat over her crossed arms. Luck had a date with Greta, and suffered the kissy faces Thea gave him when she saw he had shaved and put on a suit. Lara had even spared her car keys to her precious Audi A5 so that Greta didn't have to sit in a company car that Luck seemed to drive everywhere. That was when Thea mentally noted to get him a Mustang for his upcoming birthday.

"Is it just me or do all of the newscasters seem a little... exposed?" Lara mumbled, "I mean, I doubt Stark will even notice the colour of their blouses, let alone the deep cuts and tight fits."

Thea smothered a smile. "I will give you fifty bucks if Tony's attention is easily drawn to their shirts."

"You think he won't appreciate the views?" Lara asked.

"Call it a hunch." Thea lifted a shoulder in response.

Lara nodded. "Deal." Her attention went to the car rolling to a stop in front of the building. "Here he comes. We should get inside." She said, leading Thea into the building. Their elbows were locked together, and Thea had to look over her shoulder when the door to the car opened, out stepping Tony. His arm was in a sling, and minor cuts were on his face. But none of that changed the aura he held. Walking out of the car with Pepper, Happy, Obadiah and Rhodey in tow, Tony plucked out a cheeseburger from his suit pocket, unwrapping it. Not one look at either of the newscasters as he strutted down the path to the front doors.