Ch. 5: Tap, Snap, or Nap

     Halloween was a week away, but the autumn sun was a wool blanket over the valley, and any negligible breeze was another revolution in a city-size microwave

     Conner wiped his forehead with his arm, gulped the last of his fluorescent Lemon-Lime Gatorade, and dropped the empty bottle in the trash can. He reached into the pocket of his basketball shorts and grabbed his keys, exploring until he felt his gym membership key fob.

     He set foot in the gym, where the air of a giant fan embraced him, and although it wasn't cool, it was the air he loved most.

     As he tapped the key fob on the scanner, the vacant front desk tugged at his gaze and his eyes narrowed in confusion, wondering if Simon was out sick.

     The gruesome sound of gloves colliding with flesh mingled with the beat of Coolio's Gangster's Paradise, and Conner shivered in anticipation as he drove his hips through the chrome gate.

     Yellow sunlight pierced the window glass, illuminating the center, but keeping corners dark. Fighters kept to the edges, where the air was refreshing and the hot sun couldn't reach them.

     Conner basked in the homecoming energy, grateful to be alive, but as he walked to the locker room, he realized the violent grunts were coming from the center ring, and his attention was pulled to the two men sparring.

     It was Knowlton, training with someone of a different skin color than him, a rare sight. "Don't drop your hands, boy."

     Conner's smile fell, his flabbergasted eyes blinking in recognition. No...

     Knowlton threw punch after punitive punch at Simon, who scrunched his torso like an accordion to absorb strikes. 

     It was less of a sparring match, and more of a gratuitous punishment.

     A wave of anger washed over Conner, who dropped his gym bag and rushed to the ring. "Hey, leave him alone."

     Simon reclined on the ropes, keeping his gloves to his face as Knowlton landed a left hook to Simon's ribs, causing him to howl and drop to his knees.