Chapter 14 - Not That Easy

Evita

What am I doing? I can't believe I'm letting this chance slip by. I've let myself care too much, and look where it's getting me. I try to clear my thoughts. All that's important right now is that I return the badge and make it back to my room without being seen.

As I lift the badge up to the alarm, I hear shuffling behind me. The people in the conference room are getting up. The light turns from red to green and I shove the door open and hurtle myself through before anyone can see me. On the other side I push the door closed and breathe hard, gripping the handle in one hand and the badge in the other, ready to clip it back onto Brandt's pocket. The next second I find out that that actually won't be necessary.

"I told you!" a girl shouts, and I whirl around. Leah is next to Brandt, her hands on her hips, glaring at me. He's standing and I see him look down at his badge in my hand. Rage flashes across his face and he strides toward me, Leah following close behind.

"I told you it was her. She was trying to escape," Leah says, her nostrils flaring.

He smirks, but the anger doesn't leave his features. "We would have caught you before you made it."

"You didn't catch Trenton," I say. My voice sounds brave, but my heart pounds so hard it feels like it might burst through my ribs.

At the mention of Trenton's name, Leah's face contorts in pain, and she slaps me. I gasp and press my hand to my stinging cheek. Maybe she does care about him.

Brandt puts a large hand on Leah's shoulder and pulls her behind him. Then he looks at me for a moment, his eyes narrowed. "A lot has changed since then."

He turns to Leah, who's still breathing heavily and looks like she'd like to do a lot more than slap me. "Get back to your room." She furrows her brow and opens her mouth, but before she can argue he says, "Now."

She grumbles and glares at me one last time before turning the corner back toward the girls' hallway. Fear washes over me as I realize I'm now alone with the man who tased me a week ago.

He takes a step toward me and I shrink back, pressing myself against the wall.

He grins. "Not much of a rule follower, are you?" he says, placing his hand on the taser. His sour breath fills my nose. "You're just another girl who thinks she can do whatever she wants."

I swallow hard, looking for a way to escape. I'll never forget the feeling of electricity coursing through my body, and I'm in no hurry to experience that pain again. He raises the taser, gauging my expression as he brings it closer, enjoying my reaction. I try to hold still, but when the cool plastic touches my skin I flinch. His smile widens, teeth and lips taking over his horrible face.

I take advantage of his momentary distraction and strike out, slapping the taser from his hand. It hits the floor and slides away from us. I lunge for it, but he grabs my hair, tangling it around his fingers. My forward motion stops and he throws me to the ground, smacking my chin on the hard stone.

At that moment the doors swing open again and Sheer walks through.

She looks between the two of us, not a shred of surprise in her expression, and nods. "Very good, Mr. Brandt. Please bring her to my office." Then she returns through the door and it slams closed behind her.

My face throbs and blood seeps into my mouth. I must have bitten my tongue. Brandt reaches down and seizes my wrist, jerking my hand up toward him, his expression stony. I cry out in pain.

"I'll take that," he says, ripping the badge out of my hand. It leaves a dark, angry red line on my palm. I wonder if Sheer noticed the badge in my fist. That can't be good for Brandt.