Chapter 29 - Distraction

Dale

Since she kissed me two days ago, I've only seen Leah once, to tell her we'd be meeting in the solar room this morning. Evita is on the second level, wiping mirrors, while I wait with Nadya on the ground. The seconds tick by. I don't think she's coming.

It took me hours to fall asleep the other night, after the kiss. When I first got here I had a crush on Leah. Who wouldn't? She was good looking and had confidence that could kill. But she wanted Trenton, and he was my best friend. Now, with Trenton gone, there's nothing to stop us.

Except that when we kissed, I felt nothing.

No, not nothing. I felt sympathy. Leah would hate me for that. I'm sure she doesn't really have feelings for me. She was just lonely, looking for the closest source of comfort. At least I hope so, because someone else has been jump starting my pulse lately. I glance up at Evita, and notice the way her sweatpants cling to her hips.

Someone bangs on the door, tearing my gaze away, and when I open it Leah strides into the room. Evita peers through the door as she enters. "Did any guards see you?"

Leah frowns. "No."

"What about Brandt?" Evita eyes the door again, though it's already closed.

"I told you," Leah huffs, "no." She collapses onto the floor, leaning against the wall next to Nadya. "What 'plans' do you have so far?"

Evita rolls her eyes and steps onto the lift, maneuvering it to the ground floor. "We think we have a way to turn off the alarms."

We tell Leah about the room and what we think it contains. Her frown deepens as we talk.

"That's it? That's nothing."

Evita exhales sharply. "You have a better idea?" She narrows her eyes and purses her lips. I find myself staring at her mouth, it's perfect heart shape. It catches me off guard. Evita notices my stare and turns her head, blushing, breaking my gaze.

I clear my throat. What am I doing thinking about her lips? Evita puts on a mask every day to hide her feelings. I'd need a crowbar to peel it off her, and even then I'm not sure she doesn't have another beneath it just in case. Still, I find my mind drawn to her when I'm lying in bed at night, or methodically cleaning the solar panels. Her voice, and the faint smell of sulfur, tears me from my thoughts.

"Nadya, stop it! You're going to burn yourself again. Or worse, start a fire." Again? Evita frowns and snatches a match from Nadya, who was holding it up to her bracelet. "Where did you even get these anyway?"

Nadya sighs and looks at Leah, who coughs and hides a lit cigarette behind her hand. "What?" she asks. "She wanted one. I wasn't going to tell her no."

I stride over and seize the cigarette, stubbing it out on the solar room floor. It leaves a smudged circle of ash behind on the tile.

"Hey!" Leah shouts, but I fling the cigarette aside.

"What the hell were you thinking?" She knows what Nadya is like. I can't believe she gave her a match.

Leah picks up the cigarette and brushes it off. "Thanks a lot. That was my last match. I finally convinced Brandt to give me some." She narrows her eyes. "And that wasn't easy."

"Look," I step forward, my jaw set. "I don't care-" I begin, but Evita steps in front of me. She places her good hand on my chest and gently pushes me backward. The physical contact melts away my anger and I comply, taking a step back.

"You don't have any more matches?" Evita asks.

Leah, who was gearing up to yell right back at me, stops and shakes her head.