18: Proud Of You, Kid

"Pest, I swear to God, if you don't get out of my way right now, I'm going to maim you!"

His eyes widen slightly but he doesn't move his hands from where they rest on my shoulders, preventing me from moving around him. "You heard the doc. She's fine, she's just being cleaned up."

"I know what he said, asshole! I still wanna see her!"

He still doesn't budge, even when I step towards him. I sigh loudly before darting forward and jabbing an elbow into his side. He finally steps away as his hand goes to his ribs and I step around him. Pulling back the curtain, I finally get a good look at Lenni and have to fight to keep my face straight.

She has a nasty cut on her cheek, which a nurse is stitching up, and the purple marks on her neck make it obvious that someone tried to choke the life out of her.

From the corner of my eye, I see Pest shrug his shoulders as Lenni looks at him. "Sorry, I tried to keep her out but she insisted," he says, rubbing his ribs.

Lenni raises an eyebrow at me but I just shrug. "I slipped," I say, before perching on the end of her bed. I nod towards her cheek. "You alright?"

"Yeah, just gonna have to wear an extra layer of makeup to cover it," she says with a sigh, but I can tell she's more bothered by it than she wants to let on. I pick at the blanket on the bed while she talks to the nurse.

"I need a holiday. A couple of weeks on a deserted island sounds perfect right about now," Lenni says as the nurse moves away from the bed.

"Hawaii!" I suggest with a grin. "Not quite deserted, but still... Hot surfers!"

I ignore Smiler's glare when I hear Lenni's chuckle. "Is everybody out there?"

"Yep," I nod. "Liam was going insane when he lost contact. I'm pretty sure he would've tried to get to you if he'd had a vehicle."

Smiler laughs and shakes his head. "The kid's got it bad, but if he hadn't called me so many times, I wouldn't have pulled over to see what was up. We would've been waiting for you guys for ages without knowing what was happening, so we owe him something for sure."

"So, let him prospect," Lenni suggests before leaning her head back and closing her eyes.

"How did you get here?" Smiler asks me quietly, his fingers rubbing the back of Lenni's hand gently.

"Liam got us a cab as soon as Jay called and told us you were all heading here."

"How are you doing?" he asks, and I smile slightly, but before I can answer, the curtain is pulled back and the rest of the guys hover near the end of the bed. I turn back to Lenni as I hear her speak.

"Disgusting, isn't it?"

I follow her gaze to see Liam staring at the cut on her face. "No, it's uh, it's actually hot," he says, and I snort as I try to hold in my laughter.

"Yes, thank you, my girlfriend is hot. If you want to prospect, learn to keep your mouth shut," Smiler says, before chuckling as Liam's face gets even redder.

I turn back to the guys as I hear shuffling and stand up when I see the nurse trying to squeeze through. "Okay, everybody fuck off. I'll be out in a minute," Lenni says, and I grin at Pest as I make a shooing motion with my hands. I follow them all back out to the waiting area and flop down onto one of the seats.

"Feeling better?" Liam asks, and I nod slightly.

"Yeah, sorry about earlier. That was gross."

He laughs and nods, but puts his arm around my shoulders as we wait for Lenni to come out. "Have you spoken to Adam?"