CH 22

"Okay, okay," Nate said loudly, quieting the laughter around him. He pulled a card off the pile in front of him and read, "Drink if you've ever been arrested."

More laughter rose from the table as the offenders tipped back their drinks and Liz held the bottom of Dave's bottle, forcing him to take a long drink for his sin.

Most of the party had gone home leaving just a few members of the band, a couple roadies, and their girlfriends or wives. They were gathered around a long patio table on the deck surrounded by string lights and the dark sky. The remaining kids were tucked into their sleeping bags far below on the lawn, a single camping lantern illuminating the red tent they were in. It was warm enough to wear jeans and a sweatshirt and Nate graciously lent Liz a Sunny Day Real Estate zip-up hoodie. She sat on Dave's knee as there weren't enough chairs at the table for everyone, with Ally and Kate also on their husband's laps.

Chris leaned forward and swiped a card off the table. He read it to himself first and laughed. "Oh shit, okay. Drink if you've ever had plastic surgery."

Ally, Kate, and Liz exchanged looks before slowly raising their glasses in a mock toast and taking a drink.

"Does Botox count?" Celeste asked tossing back the rest of her wine. The table once again broke out into laughter and the women smiled at each other through their drinks before setting them back on the table. Liz felt Dave's hand on her back and she turned to look at him.

"Seriously?" he asked quietly, looking surprised.

She only nodded and turned away. Card after card was pulled and eventually, everyone at the table was feeling the effects of the game.

Liz slid off of Dave's leg, "I'm going to grab more beer," she said and let herself inside the quiet kitchen. As soon as she spotted the case of beer, she realized she needed to pee. Looking around to find a dark hallway off the living room, she went in search of a bathroom. After finishing up, she fixed her ponytail in the mirror and wandered back through the hallway, glancing at the photos lining the walls. There were group shots of the band in various faraway places, with various famous people, and at various important events. She smiled at a photo of Dave and Nate from the very early years of the band standing in front of a van towing a trailer. Her eyes eventually fell on a picture near the edge of the hallway, just underneath a thermostat. Liz narrowed her eyes, trying to register what she was seeing when it hit her all at once. She stepped back from the wall and hurried back out to the patio.

"Hey, where's the beer?" Taylor called to her, holding up his empty.

Liz ran back inside, snatched the case off the counter and hurriedly set it on the table in front of him and Ally.

"You okay, honey?" Ally asked, her eyes a little red.

"Yeah, I'm good," Liz forced a smile. "Hey Nate, you have a second?"

Dave sat forward a little, trying to figure out what was going on while Nate nodded and followed her back into the kitchen.

"What's up?" he asked, blinking slowly.

"How do you know Louise?" she asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Post? She uh..." Nate nervously looked over his shoulder at Dave who was watching them through the patio door.

"No- no, no," Liz interrupted with an awkward laugh, "Louise and Charles."

Nate looked perfectly confused for a moment. "They're my... they were my aunt and uncle?" he said as if he were unsure.

Liz turned and headed back down the hallway towards the photo. She pointed to it when Nate joined her and he lifted it off the wall.

"Yeah, they're my aunt and uncle, why?"