CH 29

"Is your comfortable agreement with Travis that he stands guard while you make out with dudes in backseats?" Dave asked as Liz slid into the back of the SUV next to him.

Liz laughed and closed the door behind her before immediately turning back to Dave and throwing her right leg over his so she was above him. "It's more like I do what I fucking want and he doesn't tell the rest of the security group that I can be a real slut sometimes," she pulled her phone out of her skirt pocket and leaned back to plug it into the SUV's audio system while Dave considered her words.

"Wait," he slid his hands up her skirt to the back of her thighs, "how slutty?"

Liz only smiled and dropped her phone in the front seat's center console before leaning forward to kiss him.

"You taste like tequila," he whispered against her lips.

"I think my entire bloodstream is tequila at this point," she breathed as the same Sneakerpimps song quietly played through the SUV, "it exponentially increases the slutty quotient."

Dave leaned back a bit to better see her face, "Those are big words for a drunk."

"Maybe tequila increases my masters in English as well," Liz thought about this for a second then shrugged and kissed him again.

Dave tried to focus on her lips, pulling her thighs towards him so that her hips were pressed against his, but he leaned back again. "You have a Masters?"

Liz sighed in frustration, "Yes. A couple. Are we going to do this or-"

"I don't know anything about you!" Dave cried, throwing his hands out to his sides.

"Who fucking cares?" Liz pointedly looked around them, "We're drunk in the back of a car outside of a fucking strip club. I think we're far beyond the 'let's get to know each other' phase."

Dave searched her face for a moment. He knew she was right and he was annoyed with himself for wishing they could just talk. He watched her face shift from frustrated to something he couldn't quite place as she slipped her hands behind his neck.

"I'm leaving in a week," she whispered, "Can we just enjoy this while we have it without making it complicated?"

Dave felt his heart constrict and his hands involuntarily return to her waist. He pulled her close and tightly held her against him, listening to her steady breath in his ear.

"What if I don't want you to leave?" he had meant to sound facetious, but his voice was strangled and sad.

Liz quickly pulled back from him, "Don't," she warned, "Don't get idealistic on me, man."

Even in the dark, Dave could see her wide eyes were shining with tears. "Liz...," he whispered, pushing the hair out of her face.

She shook her head sharply, trying to will the tears away. "Tequila also makes me cry, apparently," she laughed a little and slumped her shoulders forward in defeat.

Dave pulled her back to him and kissed her. "Can we start over?" he whispered against her lips.

She answered by kissing him harder, desperately trying to regain some of the momentum they had lost and to rid herself of the thick feeling of dread that hung in her chest. 

He dug his fingers into her skin, the nagging thought that she would be gone within a week chewing at the back of his mind. "Liz...," he mumbled through her kiss, "Liz, stop."

She shook her head, afraid that if she were to pull away the tears would return, but he firmly pushed her back.

"Liz, I'm not fucking you in a parking lot," he said, more gruffly than he actually meant.