01 | weird

Silas Arroway left the old farmhouse early that morning to walk the empty country paths to school. A gravel lane twisted through a wood filled with the early birdsong of robin and cardinal. A distant crow gave a sorrowful caw.

Silas mimicked the call back. The bird sounded again, closer. He responded once more, though the crow's call was silent but for the flap of its departing wings.

Eventually, the trees thinned out and became a  pear-green meadow speckled with daisies. The path faded into grass, though the school could be seen behind some trees ahead.

The building was shaped like a church, set by a small stream decorated with various sizes of milk bottles. A group of three boys threw a ball to each other near another boy, sitting lone on a log. A cluster of girls chatted beside the stream. Silas stood for a moment, unsure of where to go.

"Hey, you! Who're you?"

Silas turned in time to catch the ball thrown to him by the tallest of the three boys.

"Oh, um, Silas Arroway." He tossed the ball back.

am i that noticeable?

"You're the new city-boy from Vancouver. Nice to meet ya. Billy Andrews."

The boy had carefully combed blond hair and could-care-less eyes. Billy's voice was deeper than his own, and he was taller, too.

"You playing?" asked another of the boys. "Henry Thompson."

"Yeah, sure."

Silas joined their game, however boring it seemed. Their talk consisted of criticism and sarcasm with a hint of hidden resentment towards one another.

"-positively mature!" a loud voice behind them made the boys look round.

A girl with chocolate brown curls in a robin-egg-blue dress stood beside a red-haired girl in carob. She had aimed her compliment to the boy on the log, sketching as if lost in his own world.

Instantly, Billy tossed the ball onto the ground beside him.

"Hey, Cole, throw the ball back, bud." Billy said.

With no response, Billy called again, "Hey, sissy! Yeah, you!"

"Oh."

Cole picked the ball up uncertainly and threw it back into Billy's open hand cleanly.

"Nice arm, Rembrandt. Wanna play?"

The other blond boy smiled at his offer. "No, I wouldn't. Thank you, though."

Billy's face grew pink while his friends mocked his rejection. Silas joined their laughter as the school bell rang, though he turned his head to Cole and his sketchpad with curiosity.

weird.

*˚・゚*.

𝓥: this was super short im sorry but the next chapters will be longer i promise 💗🍒 also henry is one of the guys billy is friends with but unnamed