20 | alone with you

Anne handed the three their sheets of paper like they were scripts for a celebrated play. "Here. Study your lines carefully, we only have one chance. Your parents did say you could come, didn't they, Silas?"

"Yeah. They're fine with it."

In truth, he had not spoken much at all to anyone in his home since his mother told him what had happened that morning. What difference would it make if he stayed with his friends for, at most, three days?

"Cole has to run an errand for his parents in Charlottetown," Diana read.

They continued learning their lines and lies and went off to perform after class. Cole's mother seemed hesitant to allow him to leave, but she relented in the end. Diana's parents were also sceptical.

Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert were a strange pair. Marilla seemed to drift out of their conversation with hints of discomfort as the children tried to reason with her. In the end, it came down to Matthew. There was something lovable about Matthew, with his awkward demeanour and confused resting facial expression.

"I'll allow it," he said in his bear-like voice.

Anne instantly turned and hugged Diana with glee. "We're going! We're going!"

"We're going!" Diana repeated excitedly.

Cole smiled at Silas. "You're a good actor."

"I hope you're a good dancer," he replied.

"It depends who I'm dancing with."

* * * * *

Silas walked into the kitchen, where his mother was sitting at the unused table. "I'm staying at the Barrys' Aunt's house for a few days," he began in an undertone.

"Why have we not been informed?"

"I didn't think you'd need the rest of the details. I'll be back in two or three days. It's a party and I'm going with Anne, Diana and Cole."

She sighed and gestured towards the chair beside her. "We need to talk. It's important."

"I need to pack."

"It's important," she repeated.

Silas left his book bag by the door and moved to the wooden chair.

His mother spoke again, choosing her words carefully, "You know we moved here for her. We thought it would . . . make her better. The air, the sea—"

"It didn't."

"Silas, please. We had never planned on staying here permanently. And now that Daisy's . . ."

Realisation of what his mother was saying suddenly hit him.

"No. No, we can't leave. My friends are here, my school, Cole. I can't leave."

"There's no other choice. Your father isn't a farmer and the land's in no shape for us to learn."

"I'll learn. Cole can teach me. I can't leave, we can't!" His voice was breaking again.

"You're just a child. How can you begin farming on untended land in the middle of winter to support a family? Go get some rest."

Before he could open his mouth again, she left the table and him alone with this new knowledge.

should i tell cole? He thought to himself.

No. Cole did not deserve to worry. Cole did not deserve to feel alone.

cole does not deserve to feel alone.