s e v e n

Hershal walked along the fence line, watching as the boys and men reinforced the chain links. Over the few months they had been gathering wood and scrap metal, using it to make the prison more private and stronger. The walkers couldn't see the humans walking around inside the fence, but that didn't stop them from smelling the fresh meat.

The old man stopped when he saw something peculiar. A dog. He watched as that dog moved slowly out of the tree line, dragging his or her feet from exhaustion. "Glenn, open the gates!" He ordered. The dog raised his head at the sound of the voice, and directed himself towards the sound. A few of the walkers had noticed her, but she managed to evade them with a few quick steps. Without question, Glenn began to pull the gates open, revealing a few faces of dead walkers, and an exhausted dog. Somebody shot down the walkers, but Hershal didn't pay attention. He slowly approached the dog, who was now sitting.

"Hey bud." He said quietly. Her black head lifted, dark chocolate eyes glistening, almost sadly. Mud caped to her sides, and a part of her ear was scabbed over and missing hair.

"That's Zeva!" A young voice exclaimed behind him. Suddenly, two of the young girls, Lizzie and Mika, appeared at his side. The dog welcomed the young girls, her eyes brightening a bit at the familiar faces. Her thick tail thumped against the ground.

"Was this your dog?" The old man asked tentativly. He didn't know how they could have a dog, but he also didn't know why she had come here. Anything is possible when the dead start walking, he decided.

The two shook their heads. "No, it was Presley's." Lizzie said, scratching the dirty mutt behind the ears.

Hershal remained quiet at the mention of Presley, the young girl around Maggie's age that had appeared out of the blue. She'd been mysterious and eye-catching, and could have been a valuable member to the group. Unfortunately, she didn't stay long enough for Rick to change his mind and realize how much they really needed her. They had watched her leave six months ago. It only took a few weeks for her to disappear entirely from their minds.

Right when they had forgotten her, here she came back into their lives. Or at least her dog, anyways.

"Where's Presley?" He wondered aloud, standing with a struggle. As if anybody would know the answer to that question. The dog looked from the children to Hershal at the mention of her owner's name. "You're probably hungry girl, hm?"

He took it upon himself to give the dog scraps and a bowl of water. The dog practically inhaled everything, taking no time to even enjoy the food. Hesitantly the man patted the dog on the head, half expecting her to turn and snap and become aggressive. The dog raised her head, but didn't act aggressive or protective over the food. Instead, gratitude reflected in those soft eyes. She licked her own mouth before returning her attention to the food.

"Where'd he come from?" A voice suddenly said. Hershal turned and looked towards Rick, offering the slightest grin. Who would have thought that all we needed around here to lift the mood was a dog.

"Remember Presley?" Rick's features softened as he recognized the dog, now sitting patiently as the girl combed their fingers through her fur. A more hesitant smile was still evident on his face.

"I do, but this isn't Presley. This is her dog." Rick pointed out, crouching in front of the dog. Her head cocked to the side and her tail thumped against the ground as the girls continued to spoil her with attention. He cooed, "Hey girl."

"She wouldn't go far without her owner." Hershal said, struggling to his feet with the aid of Rick. "And Presley wouldn't willingly leave her friend unattended."

Rick frowned at what Hershal was pointing to, but he didn't dare voice it in front of the girls. Genuine smiles were a rarity, even from the children. He wouldn't dare ruin it with the harshness of reality. "She can stay, but keep her out of the cells... We don't need people complaining about her pissin' everywhere." The girls giggled at that.

He looked at Lizzie and Mika, the both of them spoiling the dog. "You two are in charge of making sure she gets food and water, okay? Think about it, there is now a creature that is relying on you for survival." He said, and the two looked up at him with glowing eyes, excited about the new responsibility. "Keep her out of the cell blocks." Rick said before turning with Hershal.

"Should we send out a search party for her?"

"I don't think so." Hershal sighed. "We can't really spare the people. Nevermind somethin tells me she wouldn't be happy if she found that people were risking their lives for the sake of hers."

"Still, her assistance here would be valuable." Rick mentioned quietly, running his hands along his faded jeans. "Maybe she'll come here. Her dog wandered here, after all."

"Maybe." Hershal said. "Just maybe."

-

Carl approached Lizzie and Mika, frowning at the sight of the two. They had a bucket of water around them, ragged sponges in their hands as they scrubbed a black creature. When he got closer he realized that it was a dog.

Not just any dog, but Presley's dog.

"Zeva?" He strained. The black head twisted and looked at him at the sound of her name. A pink tongue fell from her mouth, and she released a soft yip. "Where did you guys find her?"

"She found us." Mika chirped, continueing to scrub the unpleasant grime from her fur. "Hershal saw her coming to the fence." Lizzie added.

"Does my dad know about this?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

Lizzie rolled her eyes, "He's the one who said we could keep her." She said, annoyed. "Why don't you go back and read some more of your comic books?"

- - - 

Sorry this wasn't the most amazing and spectacular chapter you guys were probably expecting from me. Because I am awesome, right?

Lol no. 

Vote, comment, xo