Chess master

My name is William Dwight and I'm going to tell you my story ...

I remember that since childhood, I had always wanted to be an excellent chess player.

I just understood and knew the rules. But I thought it was a very good idea, so I started taking lessons and playing at seven, so I discovered it was fun. I still remember my first game, I won, I was very proud of myself, now after so long I am a true master, no one can beat me, even if it is someone who knows the game well. So you could say that my wish came true.

Maybe not...

I was never very sociable, I had no friends ... well, just one: Garret.

I met him at 8 shortly after he started playing chess, he did too, although he was younger than me it did not matter, we played a game and we realized the enormous similarity between the two, since then we were best friends.

He was a little quiet, but it did not matter, I did not talk much, I just played, that brought me problems with some people who thought I was a phenomenon, but I did not care, I had Garret and he had me.

But the time passed, Garret began to become more extroverted and to stop caring about chess, but I did not, chess was my life, I could not imagine it without chess, once we even fought and he said that I was too obsessed with that, but I did not listen to him, I could not believe it, we stayed three days without talking to each other.

In the end we returned to normal, in that time we fought a lot, I was 14 and he was 13, but everything changed later ...

During that time we fought a lot but we always reconciled, so our friendship was not ruined.

Now I'm 19 and we're still good friends, even though he spends more time with women while I'm still playing.

I do not know why I do it, it's just that it's too interesting for me, but Garret says it's stupid and boring.

There were times when I was really very aggressive with myself, it did not sound like the usual one, but this time it was too far, even for me.

"Hey Garret, do you have plans for tonight? I thought we could play a game after school, do you like it?"

Garret was in the hall talking to a girl at that time.

"Will, are you an idiot or what? Who the hell cares about your stupid chess? I stopped playing it a long time ago and you still can not believe it, fuck you up!"

Then he threw away my books, he and the girl scoffed and looked at me maliciously, I picked up my books and walked away slowly.

I also heard:

"The mighty William Dwight, hahaha."

A tear appeared in the corner of my eye while I ran.

It was that moment when our friendship was ruined forever, yes, forever.

Crying, I ran to my house, it was completely wet thanks to the weather, it was raining outside.

I sneaked in and whipped the door of my room. I was sure my father had listened, he was not so deaf after all, but at the time I did not care.

Crying I sat on the bed. Why was this happening to me? Was it chess?

The door to my room opened.

"Will?"

My father approached me.

"Are you okay? Something happens to you?"

"Leave me alone, I do not need anything."