7: Why?

Ezra's view

I lay down on my bed to relax a bit before I have to go to work in about thirty minutes. I was about to close my eyes for a small nap when I heard a notification on my phone. I turn reach over to my nightstand and grab it to see a text from Avery.

I immediately sit up in bed. This is the first time she has ever texted me. I unlock my phone and go to my messages.

Send me your work schedule so I can figure out study techniques you can do in small amounts of time.

I sigh as I read text. Why am I sighing? What the heck was I even expecting?

I text back, Hello to you too, love

Shit, I'm sorry. Hello, Ezra, she texts back.

The thought of Avery cursing kind of turns me on, not going to lie. I don't think I have ever heard her curse. I guess that's going to be my mission next time she tutors me, get her to curse out loud.

Do you work today, Ezra?

Unfortunetely I do.

That's too bad.

Why is it bad, love? Did you have something hot planned for us to do today? 😉

I think it's too early to cover boiling point and melting point for chemistry. Maybe after a while more of going over the first few chapter.

Oh my god, this girl is oblivious. It's kind of annoying at times, but also really adorable. I have to admit Avery has a way of making me feel weak.

She's nothing like I expected, that I learned from the first day she tutored me. Never did I ever imagine she would follow me outside, no one ever does that. And the way she said no, was a first too.

Most people would be scared to talk to me like that, but Avery had such sincereity in her face when she talked to me. The way she reassured me that she was going to help me do better, it really meant a lot to me.

And her goddamn pinkie swear was just too cute. I've never known anyone to do that. I guess she is one of a kind.

So, are you going to give me your work schedule, Ezra?

Oh shit, I was too caught up thinking about Avery to text her back.

I work from 4:30 to 10 p.m. Monday to Tuesday and Thursday to Friday. On Wednesdays I work from 5 to 10 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays, I work from 12 to 8 p.m.

Holy cow, do you ever have time for yourself, Ezra?

Time for myself? What is that?

Very funny, Ezra. But, you really need to have time for yourself, I don't want you getting stressed or burned out. Please take care of yourself first.

Why does she care so much about me?

I check my phone and notice I need to head to work now. I text her bye and go outside to my old car.

-------------------------

Avery's view

"I'm worried about Ezra," I accidentally say out loud in the living room.

"who's Ezra?" asks my mom, poking her head out of the kitchen to look at me.

"Oh, she's the girl I'm tutoring for chemistry. Remember I told you," I reply.

"Yeah, you told us, but why are you worried about her?" asks my dad walking into the kitchen.

"She works too much and doesn't really have time to do schoolwork," I explain.

"A teenager shouldn't be working so much. Are her parents doing anything to stop her? Do they work?" asks my mom.

"I don't know. Ezra doesn't really talk about her parents," I say.

"Maybe, her family is going through financial problems," suggests my dad. Maybe he's right, that would explain Ezra telling me she needs the money.

"Maybe you should talk with Ezra and try to convince her to do less hours. If needed, we could have a conversation with her parents and explain that Ezra is just a kid, she doesn't need to work so hard," suggests my mom.

"You're right. I'll try talking to her about this next time. Love you guys," I say giving my parents a hug.

I head up to my room and try to figure out a way how to include this all in the next time I tutor her. I wonder if she would take it good or badly? I have no idea.

Ezra isn't exactly an open book, it's hard to tell what she is feeling.

I just hope that I don't end up offending her. That's the last thing I would want to do. I just want to help her, I want to see her succeed.

She deserves to see herself as the capable and strong spirited person that I see in her.     

------------------