~6~ (UPDATED 02/05/2020)

(ETHAN)

Ethan was born and raised in Kelling, Alabama. Growing up, he wasn't associated with too many people of color. He didn't behave in a prejudiced manner or embody the characteristics of racism, at least he didn't think he did. His parents were hardworking God-fearing people who were kind and pleasant to everyone.

          Nolan Raye was known to use the 'N' Word, but there were many people who used that word and they meant no harm in using it. It was a simple word that described people of a darker skin color. Many of them were lazy complainers who only looked for an excuse that perfectly masked their inabilities to compete. His dad was known for making that statement so his son believed it to be the God-heaven truth.

          Ethan Raye was a young person who watched life play itself out in front of him and he saw nothing wrong with any of it.

          "Look at those niggers. Instead of going out and getting a real job, they just hang around waiting for someone to bring a job to them." Mr. Raye pointed out two black men who were loading up in the back of a white man's pickup truck in order to go work in the fields.

          His father continued to spew his racist rhetoric. The problem with their conversation was that neither man or his son equated what was said with being a racist. Because Ethan's father made misguided assumptions, there wasn't a way for the boy to know that his father embedded lies deep into his soul.

          When Ethan was at home with his mother, it didn't occur to him that she was quite prejudiced herself in spite of the hateful and brutal manner in which she treated the young black woman who worked for them.

          "ADELL... ADELL... A DELL!" Constantly throughout the day, Lillian Raye screamed the name of her housekeeper to do any little thing she was too preciously lazy to do for herself. Adell always smiled. She always did what she was told to do without so much as a whimper or complaint.

          "Adell... gal, why does it take so long for you to answer me when I call you?" The disapproving glare was a constant mask on Mrs. Raye's face.

          She never complimented her housekeeper on anything. The only words she had for the young black woman were hateful and bitter. In truth, she hated the woman. Lillian Raye hated her housekeeper ever since the first time she saw her husband's lingering glance on the woman as she went about her daily choirs.

          From the moment Lillian came to the understanding that her husband was like many men in her town, she made it a point to torment the girl who served her. The men in her circle spoke ugly words about blacks, but the same men often had black mistresses. She would not allow her husband to trade her in for some nigger bitch if she had anything to do with it. Those were the exact words Ethan overheard his mother use on many different occasions.

          "Look here, Adell. I'm not paying you a dime for anything you're stuck her doing after 5 pm. Now, you need to hurry up and get yourself out of here." Her warning was always ugly and threatening. The goal of encouraging her housekeeper to be out of their home was executed with precision. 

          Lillian had no desire for the black temptress to be in her home when her husband walked through the door after a hard day's work. The housekeeper was allowed to feed and love on Ethan every moment of every day. Even though his mother took the honor for everything she never did for her son, the bitter woman was dead set on making sure none of that love was shared with her husband.

          At the ripe old age of fourteen, Ethan questioned the things his mother and father said and the beliefs they tried to ingrain in him. As he witnessed their day-to-day actions and behaviors his beliefs were shaped a little too close to their own even though he didn't necessarily admit that he agreed with them.