~16~ (UPDATED 02/14/2020)

(DAVISON)

"Mr. Evans. Your sister's heart stopped beating. The baby was in a transverse position. For some reason, he didn't finish the process of lining up with the birth canal. The stress of hard labor pains and the baby presenting in transverse placed too much stress on your sister's heart. We had to stabilize the baby because he was in danger and we resuscitate Mrs. Raye. She is undergoing an emergency C-section. Our team is in place to take care of the needs of both mother and child. If you would like to walk with me to the surgical waiting area, we will keep you posted on our progress." Davison was dumbfounded. All the fighting he had done with his sister was for nothing. He had already lost his father and his mother. How in the hell could he allow his own personal bullshit to take away the precious time he had with the last blood member of his immediate family.

          Many days she worked and many nights she was prevented from getting adequate sleep because of his constant raging. He felt like the lowest piece of shit on the planet. A thought rushed his mind as he realized his last conversation with her was him accusing her of abandoning her people to become a swirler with some crippled white man.

          Davison sat and reflected on his stupidity. Soon his wife and daughter were escorted into the waiting room as it hit him that he might lose his baby sister and nephew today.

          "Hun, what's going on?" Amanda tried to figure out why they were in the emergency surgery waiting area. The blankness in her husband's eyes alerted her to the severity of why they had been called.

          "Davison. You have to snap out of it. Where are Valerie and the baby? Where is Ethan? Tell me what's going on." She shook his arm to jar him out of his thoughts. For a moment he just stared at her, the appearance of grief wrapped itself around him.

          "They said her heart stopped." That was all he said before he burst into tears. He grabbed his wife as the idea pricked his heart. She actually died. If her heart stopped, Valerie left him too. Davison knew it was selfish of him, but he loved his little sister. He may not have agreed with her choices, but he loved her more than this. To lose her and his little nephew was too much. It wasn't right.

          At first, he wanted to blame God for all of the loss his family had suffered in the past four years. He lost his father. Shortly after his father left, his mother closed her eyes and never woke up again. Now, his baby sister was fighting for her life and the life of her unborn child. It was too fucking much.

          Even though he wanted to blame God for everything, he did what he knew was right. Davison glanced up at his wife with gigantic tears in his eyes.

          "Baby we need to pray. We need to pray together. I can't lose my sister too. Will you please pray with me?" Amanda had never seen her husband so desperate. The nod of her head told him that she was definitely with him. They held onto one another as they interceded on behalf of Valerie's family with prayer.

*****

(IN-LAWS)

"How's it going man?" Davison asked Ethan as he walked into the living room. The sleepless look was familiar. It seemed as if his brother-in-law aged considerably over the month since he had been tasked with caring for a newborn baby.

          "I'm alright. I just got Ethan Jr. down for his nap. That little dude loves to stay up all night and sleep all day. I had to give up trying to put him on a sleep schedule. He looks at me like I'm crazy and does exactly what he wants to do." The men laughed in hushed tones. They refused to be the reason little Ethan woke up fussy.

          "How are you feeling man?" The question was inevitable. It hung in the air waiting to be asked even though it was painful yet necessary.