#16

This story is about a guy who was a friend of my dad's, we'll call him Keith. Definitely not his real name, this was in Taiwan. This guy is at a camp in a rural area with some of his friends, but the camp is just outside of a small town, so they could head in for food or supplies whenever they wanted. Anyways, he goes to lunch by himself at the town, and then runs into an old friend, Don, who invites him for a meal. Everything starts out great, and he's really happy to see this guy, but a growing feeling of discomfort begins to gnaw at him. Eventually, halfway through the meal he get's the worst feeling he's ever had, and realizes what the fuck is wrong: Don is dead. This dude has been dead since they were in middle school (or whatever the Taiwanese equivalent of that is). He tries his best to keep his cool, but is basically just looking for an excuse to leave now. Don offers to pay for the meal, and pulls out some weird money that Keith's never seen before. Keith hastily says thanks and tries to leave, but Don says "No, wait, we haven't seen each other in so long. How about we head down to the river and do some fishing?" Well, after realizing this dude might be a ghost and seeing some weird money, no way in hell was he going to agree to that, so he declines. Don gets more and more agitated, and finally Keith just starts hastily jog/running away. Without sounding very angry, Don says "Alright, I guess you got one on me, but you owe me now."

Keith is now frantically powerwalking around this town, not recognizing anything, when he suddenly rounds a turn onto a street that he knows. He continues on, leaves the town and goes back to his friends. He's not too familiar with the area, but he sure as hell remembers the restaurant that he went to for lunch, so he relays what just happened to the friends at camp, and asks them about the restaurant. Neither it, nor the street it was supposedly on, exist.

So, did Keith just have a crazy dream, or did he take a wrong turn and have lunch in the afterlife? No fucking clue, but three months later, tragedy befell Keith's younger brother. His brother was out with his own friends having fun, when suddenly, according to the friends, he starts acting really weird. Walks out into the water even though he can't swim. Suddenly, in waist deep water, he just disappears under the surface. They all run to where he is, but when they tried to pull him out of the water he seemed stuck. It was only after he was dead that they were able to pull him out. This river where Keith's younger brother drowned was where Don wanted to go fishing.