Chapter 11

Jellal barged into Ada's chamber. He needed answers. Normally he would be calm and cool. As soon as he knew from his morshi that she had threatened him to issue a letter on his behalf, he was beyond furious. Had she known that she ruined a girl's life? He was marrying her, wasn't he? Then why did she feel the need to do it?

A look of terror crossed her face. She knew what was coming. She was terrified.

"Why did you do it?"
Jellal asked through gritted teeth.

"Jellal, I can explain..." She started. He hissed and motioned for her to stop. He grabbed her arm a little harder than he expected. She winced at his hold.

"Why? Why? Do you have any idea what you have done?" He screamed right in her face. Tears pooled in her eyes. She was on the verge of crying. She let out a sob. Jellal unhanded her. She stumbled backwards.

He shot a glare and turned his back and walked away.

"I did it because I wanted to marry you!" she said between her sobs.

Jellal stopped in his tracks. He didn't turn around. He didn't want to see her face. Ever again.

"But I love her." He muttered and walked away.

***

It was a little after midnight and Jellal was tired. He still couldn't believe what had happened. If there was anyway he could undo it, he would. He was partly responsible for whatever had happened.

He entered his chambers and slumped on his bed. How was he supposed to make everything right, now? He himself had pushed her from a cliff instead of protecting her. Would he ever escape his conscious?

***

Life in the palace began early at dawn. Kitchens were bustling with cooks preparing meals. Servants washed and cleaned the palace floors. The candles on the jhumar were put out. Guards changed their shifts.

All of this indicated everyone's night had passed peacefully. But there were little secrets that went on at night that no one was aware, like the vizier slipping out one of the queen's room early morning or the rush of maids who were consoling the betrothed of the Imperial Prince or hated gaze that two brothers shared on the hallways.

Jellal walked to the garden where he knew his father, The Emperor was. He was caressing the petals of a rose. Jellal waited from him to acknowledge his presence.

"Jellal, my son." The emperor embraced him.

"What's wrong?" He asked noticing something off about his son.

"I'd like to speak alone with you "

The emperor motioned for the guard to leave them alone. They started walking side by side. Jellal contempleted as to how to say what he wanted to say.

"I don't want to marry her." Jellal sighed.

"You don't?"

"Yes", he said, "I love someone else."

He looked at his father. He just looked stunned.

"You do? Who is it?"

"Does it matter father? Does it really matter who she is?"

"Let's just start by her name.." The emperor patted his back.

"Nadiya."

His father stopped walking. "The concubine's daughter?"

"Yes." He muttered.

"You're the Imperial Prince, people look upto you. And when you marry a concubine's daughter there sure would be a scandal."

Jellal slumped his shoulders in defeat.

     "I have loved too. She was a concubine of mine too. But she was killed by your mother. Her only fault was loving me and giving birth to your brother before the queen. And I have regretted it till today. And that is why, Son, if you truly love her then I won't stop you."

Jellal's face grew a smile. It was as bright as the sun. He embraced his father once more and walked hastily to her. He didn't know how she was. Or how she will handle the news or will she ever agree for marriage but this morning among all the hustling and bustling he wanted to confess to her. That he loved her and will and always love her. Till death do them apart.

****

The End.

****

There is still an epilogue. And then it'll be done.