31

When Thorne slows his car to a stop in my driveway, it's almost hard to believe that his car is in my driveway

When Thorne slows his car to a stop in my driveway, it's almost hard to believe that his car is in my driveway. If we were in the past right now, Thorne would be parking a few houses down the street, far enough away to keep himself hidden. Because back then, I'd assumed if my parents caught me with Thorne, they'd forbid me from seeing him.

Now, however, things are different. Thorne can park his car in my driveway because my parents and I have finally come to terms with each other. The past is in the past, and now I'm left looking forward to my future.

I turn to Thorne excitedly as I unbuckle my seat-belt, beaming at him. "Come on!" I exclaim, unable to restrain my smile. "I want to introduce you to my parents."

Thorne's expression goes slack. His green eyes widen, shining with disbelief. His mouth gapes open slightly, as if he's tempted to ask me if I've gone insane. A few seconds later, he's smiling. A real, genuine smile that makes him all the more handsome.

"Are you kidding?" Thorne questions, tilting his head to the side as he glances over at me.

"No." I shake my head, trying not to smile. "I'm being serious. I want you to meet my parents."

"Sunshine," Thorne starts, as if getting ready to remind me that him meeting my parents used to be one of my biggest nightmares.

"Thorne," I interrupt. "A lot of things have changed lately. I want us to change, too. I'm tired of keeping you a secret. I love you, and I want to be able to show that I love you. I'm not ashamed of you, and I've talked to my parents about all of this. I think it's time they meet you."

Thorne's expression softens as he glances at me, his green eyes gleaming. I can tell that my words have made him happy, resonated with him deeply. And I mean them. I want to be able to be with Thorne; really be with him. He's a big part of my life, as are my parents. I think it's finally time for my two worlds to collide and become one. I no longer want to live a double life and be the Mia my parents know, and also the Mia Thorne and my friends know. I just want to be Mia, the girl who has strict parents that are learning to accept change as time goes on, and the girl with the boyfriend who accepted her the moment they met.

"We're really doing this?" Thorne questions, grinning.

"We're really doing this," I confirm, a laugh escaping me. "You know, I don't think boyfriends are usually excited about meeting the parents."

"I guess I'm an exception," Thorne muses, tone low as he leans toward me. His statement goes with my former remark and our lives in general. Before Thorne, I'd been a completely different person—a person I wasn't really happy being. And then I'd made an exception, allowing this boy who is the complete opposite of me to enter my life.

It was the best exception I've ever made.

Thorne kisses me then, soft and slow and sweet. It's the kind of kiss that makes time feel like it stops, like it is only me and him, creating our own little world. When we pull away, we sit together in silence for a moment, simply reveling in the little time we're sharing now. It's the little things like this that remind me again and again how much I love this boy, how safe and loved he makes me feel.